Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what does 5v tolerant mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicky.r

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a little confused with the sentence "5 volt tolerant Open Drain 16mA drivers".These gpios operate at 3.3vLVTTL.So what does 5v tolerant mean exactly.Does it refer to input operation or output operation or both.

It means, that the pins allow to be driven to 5V logic level without damage or sinking current through clamp diodes. Obviously, it's only possible for input, tri-stated output or open drain.

It is refer Both Input & Output...

"5v tolerant" meant that the part was capable of accepting 5v levels on its inputs while operating at some other, lower voltage. But it appears you mean is it capable of actually operating at 5v.
I think u dont need to worry with this.... Plz go threw the following links... it may usefull to you...
**broken link removed**
5V Tolerant Devices - Altera Forums
5 Volt tolerant 3.3 volt output buffer - Patent 5721508
ARM Information Center
Simplified 5V tolerance circuit for 3.3V I/O design - Patent 6353333

Hi,
This means that your pin can properly function with 5v connected to it (input or output configuration[eg. pulled up to 5v]) without being damaged. However, it does not necessarily mean that the chip can operate at 5v. Example: PIC24F has 5v tolerant IOs, but the PIC itself can not be run at 5v.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Thanks a lot for all your helpful responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back