Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does 32 x 32 memory address decoder mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericyeoh

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Can someone explain what "32 x 32 memory address decoder" mean to ?
i've searched through the web and found no matched about this.

TQ

Re: Need help on decoder

It could be many things but most likely it refers to a decoder to uniquely address one of 32 rows and 32 columns in a 1024 byte (1K) memory space. So basically, it takes in 10 address lines, 5 for rows and 5 for columns and decodes each into 32 lines to address individual memory cells.

Brian.

Which mean i have 2 sets of ( 5 to 32 decoder) ?
each decoder is having 5 address lines and 32 output data line?

Is it what you trying to say?

Or i should say a decoder has 10 input address lines and 1024 output data lines?

Last edited:

It would be 2 sets of 5-bit decoders, each producing 32 outputs.
One set would go to the 32 rows and the other to the 32 columns. That way, you can address any cell in the matrix with the right combination of 2 x 5 bit addresses, meaning 10 address lines needed in total.

Hint: 2^10 = 1024.

Brian.

Ok thx...get your point already.

Should i assign the upper 5 bits to row and lower 5 bits to column? or vice versa?

It doesn't matter, if you swap them all you do is rotate the 32x32 matrix through 90 degrees. You can even interleave them RCRCRC... and it will work exactly the same. What matters is that each cell can be individually accessed and as you write and read the memory through the same address lines it makes no difference where in the 1024 array any bit is actually stored.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back