Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do I need to do to run the train sound board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rarcher

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power supply question

I'm in over my head, I built a train table for my son and I bought a kit to supply train sounds. The kit is battery powered, 2 AA batteries, but I want to connect it to the power supply from the model train transformer.

The sound kit requires a power supply of 2.4V to 6V. It says is has a standby current less than 1 uA and the operating current is 0.17 to 0.23 mA.

The model train transformer power pack that I want to connect it to is described as follows:

Power pack Input: 120V 50/60 Hz, Output: 17VDC 20VAC, Max output 7VA total. (AC is US Standard)

What do I need to do to run the train sound board on the model train power supply?

I'm a cop not an engineer, so dummy it down for me! Thanks!

Re: Power supply question

You need to use a voltage regulator like the LM7805, I don't remember right now, but I think they can handle an input voltage of 17 volts and will give 5 volts on the output

They are easy to use, just check the heating if they got too hot you need to use a heat disipator, but based on the current consumption of the sound kit it should be OK.

Do not get a LM7805 for SMD use.

Search on the internet for LM7805 to get the information

Added after 1 minutes:

And please do take me to jail if this solution does not work

Added after 36 seconds:

Sorry I mean: Do not take me to jail if the solution does not work

LOL Thanks for the reply, I'll check on that now

Here is a web page with the circuit diagram that you'll need.

Maximum input voltage should absolutely be no more than 35V dc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back