Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what different between pic 16c54 and 16f54?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec82

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
16f54

hi everybody
i want to now what's different between C series of picmicro's and f series?
regards

16c54

There is a lot of different between the c54 and the f84.
Read the datasheet.
The different between the C and the F series is, the C is OTP/one time programable, until the F stand for FLASH, so you can reprogram it many times you want.
Some of the C series has a window on the top, in that case you can erase it with UV light.

csaba

alec82

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pic16c54

can i program C series same as F series with same programer or it's require a special programer?

ic 16f54

Yes you can, but be sore your code is working, and it is the final.
There is no second chance on the C's unless the windowed chip.
And I'm sure there is no LV on the C's at all.
The 16c54 can't be programmed the same way as the 16C84 of F84 and their new versions, I think for the C54 you will need a parallel programming mode.

csaba

alec82

16f54 programming

anybody have schematic an software for 16c54 programers?

pic 16f54

16c54 can be programed with TAIT-parallel programmer. This is the one with made using 74HC299.

It is a 13 bit parallel programmer. For software use IC-Prog V1.05

The C54 is more expensive than F54. I am just now changing to F54.

alec82

16c54 16f54

Hi,
Just change from C series to F series for R & D. Use C series Only for bulk Production
Thanks

I am reviving an old programmer (PICSTART-16B) for a small project. The 16F54's are much, much cheaper than the 16C54's. Will a 'C' programmer work with the 'F' series chips?

I am reviving an old programmer (PICSTART-16B) for a small project. The 16F54's are much, much cheaper than the 16C54's. Will a 'C' programmer work with the 'F' series chips?

Well, I gambled and tried it - well rather I tried a 16F84A, while selecting the 16C84 device.

It works (sort of). I'm really bootstrappin' here. I did not have a really good power supply for the programmer at first and after hearing buzzing from the power circuit (that can't be good), I switched to a 2 cell LiPo battery (7.4v) which seems to work. The software is PIC16B ver 5 w/ firmware 1.7 (matches the firmware on the programmer).

About 1 in 4 programming attempts mess up - the programming counter skips a bunch of locations, stalls and then reports an error. After a few retries (having to power down/up the programmer each time) it will program and verify the F84A.

I'm running the F84 with the RC oscillator, and am currently trying to write a stepper driver:

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/192103/

So, for anyone clearing out the basement and coming across some old hardware, there is still hope for it :)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.