Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what cause laser in cd, dvd player to wear out

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigoku

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
weared out laser pickup

as the title said, i want to know what cause it?

dvd player lens damage causes

every device has its lifetime... the laser is created from laser diode which has dissipation and other aging effects in it...

replacing a laser diode in a dvd player

i wonder if it is of the machanical part of the laser that is wear out and cause the laser to stop reading and writing, or the laser lens itself , but since the lens is just a peace of glass, how could it wear out..so im guessing that it must be the machanical part of it..
the whole reason im asking this question is because i keep buying a ps2 once in a while becasue the laser keep wearing out, it stop reading discs, so i figure that there has to be some kind of electrical damage part of the laser drive, and if i know culprit maybe i could fix it to save me some money..

laser.in.cd

Sometimes the problem is related to the dust accumulated on the optical components. One solution is to clean the lens is with air.

But air works when all there is dust, but after a few years a film will often develop from humidity and impurities in the air. An effective method is a cotton swab and alcohol.

india dust problem in optical drives

Laser can worn off because its simply made of a semiconductor (a LASER diode, LASER-ED). The optical problem...the glass (or lens) is unlikely to worn off just like you say.

But, in a dvd optical system, the lens is placed on a spring-damper system for focusing purpose. To control its focusing, the lens can move in several direction controlled by electro-mechanical system (it uses magnetic force actually to control the movement of the lens).

So it is likely the whole optical system can be easily damage if a certain condition applied...such as: unstable mains voltage, too many mechanical shock, bad disk that cause the lens change its focus rapidly, improper ventilation that can cause heat.

Anyway, if your PS2 disk is damage...you dont have to buy a new system...just repair it or exchange it with a PC DVD drive.

dvd player laser aging

thanks your infos is pretty helpful, but im not sure about the part where you can replace the ps2 optical drive with a dvd drive though, i know it will work if you replace on an xbox because many people did it, but for ps2 i never see anyone attempt to do it..but who knows you could be right, i should give myself a chance, never know if you dont try it :D

wearing out laser

I think you can, I've change my PS2 drive using BENQ DVD drive... well didnt do it, the service technician did it. I think they strip down the DVD case first than connected just like that.

Nah, consider it as a rumor...DON'T TRY IT AT HOME!

can a dvd lens wear out

so it not work?

possible to wear out a dvd drive?

Usually it is the slider that holds the laser that wears. This causes mis-tracking and consequently read errors

dvd laser pick up wear

This can happen in about 2 years and can also happen after about 10 years.
Unfortunatly replacing the lazer carage unit is an expensive job but worth it if you have an expensive piece of audio equipment.

dvd player laser damage shock

so is the slider also move by electro magnetic?

I think the proper name for the sliding part is a Sled. It is moved backwards and forwards by a stepper motor. If you do a search for playstation repairs, you may find instructions how to repair these, bit fiddly but it is claimed to work. Its a year or two since I came across the info, so it may no longer be there.

hi to all....

actually the lens of a LASER PICK-UP is not made of 100% glass. it is made of a certain plastic like Fiberglass. to prove it, you can try in a defective laser pick up by scrubbing in with a cotton buds and a LACQUER THINNER, and you will see that the lens will be dimmer than before. but trying to scrub (LACQUER THINNER) it in a 100% glass, it has no effects. this thing will give you an idea how the laser pick up worn out. but actually its only a basic problem THERES A SOLUTION FOR THIS!

mister_rf said:
Sometimes the problem is related to the dust accumulated on the optical components. One solution is to clean the lens is with air.

But air works when all there is dust, but after a few years a film will often develop from humidity and impurities in the air. An effective method is a cotton swab and alcohol.

in many case it is true

Status
Not open for further replies.