Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What book should I read to learn PCB design and what tool is good for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee484

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Where should I start learning PCB design?

Any good references and books...or commnets, please.

How about this book?
Complete PCB Design Using OrCad Capture and Layout (By Kraig Mitzner)

The reviews on this book are good. What do you think?

I was first planning to buy this book, but what makes me hesitate buying this book is the review as well.
"It is an excellent book to introduce new users to Orcad Capture and the Orcad Layout SW packages. It does NOT cover Orcad PCB Editor which is completely different from Orcad Layout. (Layout has a very similar user interface to Capture while PCB Editor is based on Cadence Allegro PCB layout package)
"

I don't know the tools on PCB. So, let me ask something.
If I design a PCB, should I use PCB editor? As the review said, the book is not on PCB editor, but layout. What's difference? Orcad layout does not indicate silicon chip layout, or does it?

What's the best ...or most common..or most preferrable PCB design tool for PCB engineers?

thank you for your valuable comments.

BEST
B

Re: novice to PCB design

Well if you are totally new to PCB design I would suggest you stay off OrCAD as it has a slightly steeper learning curve. Get something easier like Eagle/Altium/PADS. Eagle has got a free version. Altium and PADS are advanced packages with ease of use. OrCAD and Allegro packages from Cadences are for the pros who do pcb designing for a living.

As for learning, eagle comes with a lot of examples, assuming you are already good at drawing schematics you can just export it to layout and start manual routing or automatic routing, whichever serves your needs.

After a while you can start exploring advanced design concepts like high speed/low noise etc etc designs.

Both OrCAD PCB Editor and OrCAD PCB Layout serves the same underlying purpose of designing complex PCBs. OrCAD Layout has tighter integration with OrCAD Capture and CIS etc etc.

Good luck and happy routing.

Again as a beginner, there many package to choose from. As you skills improves, you may want to try other package that are much better. This is where the compatibility and continuity issues comes in. Designs in yr earlier package not compatible with the new one or vice-versa.
There are 2 way - you can choose package that hv compatibilty with the package you are using currently, or use only one that can design from simple to very complex ones.
I started of with Protel EDA then 99SE to DXP2004 with ease. I should recommend this to a beginner.
I am currently upgrading to MG Expedition since it is more powerful than Altium but again both package are not compatible to each other.

Hi,

I suggest you to go for some freeware available in the internet,like the one link underneath,just to get the feel of the process...Check all the sites below,it will be very useful for you beforehand in starting any design.

https://www.diptrace.com/download.php

https://www.bestsoftware4download.com/software/t-free-diptrace-free-download-ljlmulgm.html

Beside that check this pdf also for entire pcb design process,

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

https://www.egr.msu.edu/eceshop/pdf/an_pcb_t23.pdf

**broken link removed**

Best of luck

Regards

Ramesh

ee484

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.