Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what board to buy to start embed Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar474

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I like to buy a development board (ARM ) to start practicing embedded Linux.
can any one suggest me a best board which costs around Rs 3000.

Have you seen the Raspberry PIs?

Raspberry Pi

They are one of the least expensive Embedded Linux Boards and they have just starting to ship.

BigDog

Have you seen the Raspberry PIs?

Raspberry Pi

They are one of the least expensive Embedded Linux Boards and they have just starting to ship.

BigDog

is it possible to program it Linux other then debine what processor dose they use ?
is that boards schematic is open ?

is it possible to program it Linux other then debine what processor dose they use ?

Yes. There are three different distros on the following page and of course you can always roll your own, if you up to it.

Raspberry PI Downloads

The board uses an ARM11

The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with floating point, running at 700Mhz, and a Videocore 4 GPU. The GPU is capable of BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.

is that boards schematic is open ?

The website states they will be releasing a formal schematic soon.

It is one of the best deals I come across, comparable systems are in the $200+ range.

BigDog

Yes,.. I agree with raulina. There is a board called beagleboard which is more power full. But cost is around 150US$. You can install any real time OS which you want. Now a days boards are coming inbuilt linux image on SD card. Check the beagle board website https://beagleboard.org/ so that you'll get to know more things like cost, sample projects using beagle board, etc, etc...

If you don't mind spending a bit more, then i would suggest Beagleboard-xM which is very powerful and will be quiet a good investment from the future point of view. Also, just don't think of money as a criteria, think of the support available and online materials available as well. The google beagleboard group is quiet active wilth people to help you if you get stuck and also tutorials available to help you.

You might also want to have a look at the leopard board which should cost you around 5K i think.

If money is the prime criteria, the Raspberry Pi for 25$ or 35$ for ethernet version is what you should look at.

Hi,

I have worked with ARM9 and ARM11 over Linux. I think they are best to use. and if you can invest a little more you can also go for NVIDIA tegra.

And if you are doing any wireless project then you can check with the providers, there are many who provide the solution with the development board. so you need not buy it separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back