Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the trends in the Electronics industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gskg

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
trend in electronic industry in pakistan

This is a million dollar question for anyone looking for a career in Electronics & Allied fields.
Student as I am, I would like to know from some of you - experienced people in the industry -

Where is the Electronics industry heading?
What are the latest trends?
What are the technologies that would shape the future of the Electronics Industry?
Is the century of the Electron over? Are we into the Photonics age?
Storage & Computing - Will the photon outedge the electron in the near future?
When will be reaching the quantum limits in Integrated circuits?

Anyone?

see this special issue about future of semiconductor industry

**broken link removed**

well im not an experienced person, just a student like you. but ill try to tell what i know.

the trend in the electronics industry is towards miniaturization. these days u hear the buzzwords nanotechnology and micro-electromechanical systems. well thats all part of the miniaturization trend in the field of electronics. scientists are looking for ways to make semiconductors as small as possible. the smaller the devices, the more can be packed per wafer. that is, more functions can be performed per square inch. and the smaller the size the lesser the power dissipation.

scientists all around the world are also looking into the superconductor technology. there is a lot of work being done in this field. the aim is to produce a superconductor which will be ideal at room temperature conditions.

then there is the telecommunications industry. the technology that is pushing the limits of electronics today is the telecommunications industry.

the technology that will push the limits of the electronics industry in the future is the field of Biomedical engineering. consider the amount of computing power that first decoded the structure of the human DNA. there is alot of work being done in the field of biomedical engineering. techniques are being developed to reduce the diseases in humans and all of it is being powered by the electronics industry.

i hope that helps

i'll think the future of dsp is quite bright

the future is migrating electronics to the human body!
IC designed with stuff that is accepted by the human body

2004 Growth estimates for the semiconductor industry forecast revenue to grow between 19% - 26%. Many leading authorities see double-digit percentage growth for the worldwide market from 2003 through 2005. Revenue estimates are for a sustained level of $200 billion plus for the next few years. The personal computing, wireless communications and digital consumer sectors are helping to drive the current upturn. Forecasts: The MOS memory market is forecast to grow 32.3% in 2004. Analog devices will grow by 15.4% in 2004. Microprocessor sales are expected to grow by 18.3%. The discrete component market is expected to grow 12.7% in 2004. Microcontrollers will see growth of 12.1%. Digital signal processors will rise 27.1% in 2004. The America's market is expected to show greater strength in 2004 with 17.7% growth to $37.5 billion. Europe is expected to grow by 14.7% to $37.4 billion in 2004. Japan will grow next year by 17.9% to $44.7 billion. The Asia/Pacific market continues to experience the strongest growth. Next year it will grow 23.4% to $75.0 billion.

One thing I have noticed, as an electronics person looking into programming, is a pull away from the basics. It appears that the programming has reached a point to where it is not easily utilized. The routines are product oriented and lack versatility. One might argue that the routines are the same, just with different names. But I think the scope has broadened and anybody trying to develop around the new routines might find they are tailored to a particular agenda. In electronics, it is the same.

I think that, FPGA and DSP or ASIC technology is one of the targeted fields in Electronics, especially for developing countries, in order to catch up with developed countries in this field!

Just some thought:

seems many people are working to reach the fotonic era, but many problems are yet to solve. For what i've understood the main problems are about the possibility to integrate optic circuits on the same chip: different optic devices are nowadays realized on different substrates.

On the sci-fi side there is the quantum-computing science which is still at a lowest development level. The idea is to use quantum mechanics as the elaborating machine. The advantages: NP algorithms becomes P algorithms with quantum-computing. The disadvantages: the most complex elaboration made till now is the factorization of the value 15!! Still lot of work to do. In the future maybe quantum-computing could be mixed to micro/nano-electronics to solve some particular problems.

One word on MEMS. For what i've understood there is not a systematic approach in designing these systems, so it is only developed within an industry to realize a specific system. They're usually based on the use of an integrated capacitance and a spring. The functionality depends on the way they interact.

I like the way they tend to use opamps too much. The opamps purpose is to satisfy all of three conditions; high gain, differential input, and high input impedance. If you only need one of these conditions, then other circuits can be used. These circuits can be broken down directly from the makeup of the opamp. So are the cutting edge designs wrong? Yes they are, but they work for now. The opamp is as simple as they want to go at this point in time.

The question was what is the TREND in the electronics industry ,Probably you mean what is hot in the US and abroad .. But mainly in the US .. Well very simple question NOTHING,everything is in stand by .There are of course the big monsters MICROSOFT ,INTEL ,XILINX ,IBM ..well they always sell their stuff ,But the telecom is deadly slow .That's where you could get exited and use DSP,FPGA,MICROWAVES ..!
Nobody talks anymore about start-ups .. or venture capital .. everybody is selling houses or mortgages plans .. I went the other day to COMPUSA one of the biggest computer retailers and no gismos almost . No USB to IDE boxes ,no PCMCIA to USB2 .. Very little choice in everything .. Which leads me to beleive that people are not buying !.People are short in cash .
All this you could say that can be repaired as soon as the economy turns around .,But there is a problem .I see no more driving force for the economy to turn around .. No INTERNET REVOLUTION , NO TELECOMMUNICATIONS revolution .. There are THOUTHANDS of MILES of fiber optics buried already and without USE ! . BUT WHAT BOTHERS ME THE MOST is that BANKS here are lending money at very low rates and for 20 years to 30 years .. NOBODY in his right mind will do that .!
You see there is equation that brings PROSPERITY ,an the TERMS ARE NOT THERE:

HOT PRODUCTS -> WELL PAID JOBS FOR DESIGNERS AND OTHER -> NEW BUSSINESS CREATED TO CATER TO WELL PAID PEOPLE -> BLUE COLAR PEOPLE IS IN DEMAND AND BETTER PAID -> PEOPLE INVEST > MORE NEW HOT PRODUCTS

THIS CHAIN IS COMPLETLY BROKEN .RIGHT NOW .. IT CAN BE REPAIRED BUT IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME ... !

Something has to give .. Well you ask for OPINIONS that is my opinion ..
On the other side . HDTV is going to be adopted in 2 years .. so That should generate some activity . Unfurtunatly the manufaturers are not AMERICANS .. !

The whole nature of the electronics business is changing now that it has reached maturity. One example is the 802.11 area. In the decade or two before there were many companies doing development on proprietary wireless products. Now the 802.11 specifications are done by industrial committees and the chip sets are sold for very low prices by a few IC companies. The end product manufacturers copy the sample card design. The whole process takes fewer engineers than before. The cost competition between manufacturers keeps them from having many employees or giving them rapidly increasing wages.

This same situation is in every area of the electronics industry.

The future for the electronics industry in Pakistan may look good but here in the UK imported consumer electronics are much cheaper then what they would cost to make here. The trend I'v seen over the last eight years has been fewer electronics jobs here.

hi
hier in Iran i see a good future for the
electronics
bye

i'll think the future of DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING
is quite bright

Added after 2 minutes:

MEMS ANS ROBOTICS ALSO PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLL

I thinks it is nano technology& MEMS

These are tough questions
Any given answer is just an opinion.
The electronics industry is moving towards integration. Most of the circuit design is done in IC manufacturers and the circuit designer now only integrates ready building blocks. DSP is replacing most forms of signal proccesing even in RF. Most of the electronics work is done with DSP and VLSI and by software programmers not electronics engineers.
High speed digital communications is the driving force (from the economical point of view). Photonics is not yet ready to replace standard electronic circuits and will not be ready for a few more years.
We are already close to the quantum limits this is probably the new era in microelectronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back