Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the specifications for a .mif or a .coe file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

platopathrose

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hai,
i would like to know what are the specifications for a .mif or a .coe file..
will it work if i edit the location for the initial data section on the generated code to add a .mif file?.

also if i am havign the file .mif liek this will this work?.

will this works?...

or is it necessary to add the .coe file when i generate the code?..

regards,
maxiiii

generate coe file

For what purpose are you using the code...? I'm not sure about others,but I used it as the co-efficient file for storing the BRAM contents with specific addr. Instead of loading memory editor each time,I loaded the contents addr and data myself accordingly,but never got any error....It's just a coe file.No idea about .mif anyway.Someone else might have a better vision,let's see

how to generate a .coe file

hai,
is it possible to load directly the .mif file?..
the .coe file is also the same as .mif file, just loading the memory with some values initially.
in the xilinx core gen, while generating the BRAM in the final stage we have an option to load the .coe file,
if we can load .mif file, plz explain how we can do it?

how to generate coe file

AR #9697 - 5.1i CORE Generator - What is the role of COE and MIF files for Virtex and Virtex-II Cores?

5.1i CORE Generator - What is the role of COE and MIF files for Virtex and Virtex-II Cores?
AR# 9697
Part Coregen IP Modules
Last Modified 2005-03-04 00:00:00.0
Status Active
Keywords FIR filters, memory, RAM, ROM, distributed, block
Description

Keywords: FIR filters, memory, RAM, ROM, distributed, block

Urgency: Standard

General Description:
What is the role of COE and MIF files for memory cores?
Solution
For all new cores released in the 3.1i design tools, as well as in all new IP going forward, the following restrictions apply to COE and MIF files:

1. Only COE files may be used as inputs to cores for the purpose of specifying initialization values for memory cores and for specifying coefficient values for filters.

2. MIF files can only be generated as output files for use in HDL behavioral simulations. They cannot be used to specify initial values when a core is generated.

MIF files will always be written out for memory and filter cores (in binary format only), based on values specified in any input COE files (or default values, as the case may be).

- For an example COE file, please see the data sheet provided with the core.

- If you need to add a comment line in the ".coe" file, use ";" at the beginning of the line.

.coe file comments

Hi,
Its correct that you can only upload ".coe file" for RAM/ROM in core generator. If you have ".mif file" or hex file you can convert it to ".coe file" and then use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back