Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the methods for designing FIFO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpeshchokshi

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello friends,
i need the help to design the fifo.
what are the different way that we can design the fifo
also give me architectural overview of fifo
i am asking abt the synchronous fifo
Also How i have to decide the depth of the fifo?

thanks in advance

Re: designing of FIFO

im looking forward to know answer for this as well dear... plz some body help us out as soon as possible..
thank you very much in advance....

Please find some papers associated with this topic on sunburst website!

You can find a lot of related materials there!

Good Luck!

Thomson

designing of FIFO

Could you detail your target? Sync FIFO, Async FIFO, One clock, Muti-clock, ....

There are some papers that maybe are useful.

SUNG, San Jose, 2003 <Synthesis Optimized Universal Synchronous/Asynchronous Generic FIFO Design>

**broken link removed**

Hi,

The first thing you need to consider is the depth of the fifo.This is determined by the read and the write speed(Its the ratio).
Since this is a synchronous fifo, so managing read and write pointers for accesing the fifo is not a tough job. Remember, write pointer will point to the next location being written and read pointer points to the location being read.
Now there will be some signal controlling the read and write access to the fifo.
Whenever the write signal is asserted, write the incomming data to location pointed by write pointer and then increment the pointer.Whenever the read signal is asserted, read the data pointed by read pointer and increment the pointer.
To generate the control signals life fifo full/empty/overrun/underrun compare the read and write pointers.To prevent more than one bit change, use gray encoding for the pointers.
Hope i was clear above.
Regards.
dak-ju

hi dak-ju,

can u give mathematica relation for the depth of fifo accrding to read and write speed

Regards,

Preet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back