Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the industrial applications of FPGAs & Micro-controllers ? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishdeshmuk

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are the industrial applications of FPGAs & Micro-controllers ?
Difference between Microcontroller & FPGA ?

thanks

There an infinite number of applications of FPGAs and uCs. Why do you ask?

As far as the differences, one significant difference is that a microcontroller can do only one thing at a time (even though programmers are deluded into thinking they are running multiple, parallel 'threads'), while an FPGA can run multiple processes in parallel.

Microcontrollers generally have a number of dedicated peripheral functions built in (AD & DA conversion; UARTs; timers; etc.) which, contrary to what I just said, can actually be running in parallel with the main microcontroller process. These peripherals can be polled by the main microcontroller process, or generate an interrupt.

An FPGA is, at its elemental level, a bunch of gates and registers that can be connected any way you like. FPGAs can run a LOT faster than microcontrollers, especially considering the parallelism, but it takes more work to develop a particular function. High level functions in an FPGA can be implemented using prepackaged Intellectual Property (IP), saving some work (but costing some money, although many functions are available at no cost). Generally, an FPGA design is done in a language like VHDL or Verilog, although there is a movement towards using C. (I'm a VHDL guy)

These are just a few random thoughts. If you have more specific questions, just ask.

Barry

There an infinite number of applications of FPGAs and uCs. Why do you ask?

As far as the differences, one significant difference is that a microcontroller can do only one thing at a time (even though programmers are deluded into thinking they are running multiple, parallel 'threads'), while an FPGA can run multiple processes in parallel.

Microcontrollers generally have a number of dedicated peripheral functions built in (AD & DA conversion; UARTs; timers; etc.) which, contrary to what I just said, can actually be running in parallel with the main microcontroller process. These peripherals can be polled by the main microcontroller process, or generate an interrupt.

An FPGA is, at its elemental level, a bunch of gates and registers that can be connected any way you like. FPGAs can run a LOT faster than microcontrollers, especially considering the parallelism, but it takes more work to develop a particular function. High level functions in an FPGA can be implemented using prepackaged Intellectual Property (IP), saving some work (but costing some money, although many functions are available at no cost). Generally, an FPGA design is done in a language like VHDL or Verilog, although there is a movement towards using C. (I'm a VHDL guy)

These are just a few random thoughts. If you have more specific questions, just ask.

Barry

I really want to know, what are their industrial applications & you can name a few if there are not need to mention each & every application of them ? thanks

Ok.

Motor Control.
Temperature Monitoring and control
Machine vision
Chemical process control
Printing
Death Rays
Mind Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com