Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] What are the good ways to keep your laptop battery healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhishek_Anand

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Laptops have Li-Ion batteries. These batteries come with internal protection circuitry. So, can a particular usage pattern affect it health and ultimately its life?

Laptops have Li-Ion batteries. These batteries come with internal protection circuitry. So, can a particular usage pattern affect it health and ultimately its life?

Of course if you dont use it at all battery will have max up to 10 years life.

Avoid cycling, use AC adapter always when that is possible.

Avoid higher temperatures than 40-50C.

Best regards,
Peter

Most laptop batteries have a cycle counter. After XXX amount of charging cycles the internal circuit decides that the battery is done, and you need a new one. So some people tried to keep their battery on charge whenever possible to prevent the cycle counter from activating. Then the laptop people did not like that. On my Sony Elitebook, for instance; If your battery is fully charged it will disconnect the charger (Charger connected but not charging message) to force you to use at least 20% of the battery. I suppose that is enough for it to register a cycle count.

Some utilities became available that you can plug your battery into and then reset the EEPROM count inside the battery.
Smart Battery Workshop https://sbworkshop.com/ is one of these and has been around a few years. I am sure you can do a Google search for many more.

I've never seen more than 2 years practical life in any Lion laptop battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.