Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the differences between Altera and Xilinx FPGAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhineet22

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is differnece between devices of altera and xilinx fpga's?
which is better and why?

Re: altera vs xilinx?

They are pretty much the same. You might find that the Altera tools are easier to use and the Xilinx devices are a little cheaper.

when you go for reconfiguration purpose xilinx can be used.
for high performance altera accelarator can be used..

this type of fpga used depend upon the purpose, cost and preformance

regards
shankar

if u go thru datasheet of altera cpld, u will find that, altera devices are less time reprogrammable than xilinx cpld.

but altera fpga configuration is very easy

Regards,

Preet

Ever since I opened my eyes to the digital world, I've been using Xilinx FPGAs back in the days of foundation series 2.1i. I might be big time subjective with this regard, but I like the X's in Xilinx and don't intend to change this hehe. In courtesy of inventing FPGAs, mother Xilinx should be choice no. 1 for all of you guys duh.

Cheers.

PS: No, it's not my father's company.

@ltera vs xilinx?

very subjective question, everyone has a preferences, it is like compare toyota and honda

Don't forget Actel and Atmel. They each have features that Xilinx and Altera don't.

http://www.actel.com/
http://www.atmel.com/products/FPGA/

Take Actel's Fusion series of FPGAs - they have built-in programmable analog sections. Other Actel FPGAs use on chip flash to store the image - they are live at power-up and don't need to be configured like Xilinx and Altera.

Re: @ltera vs xilinx?

shankarmit said:
for high performance @ltera accelarator can be used..
According to my experience .xilinx FPGA has much more high performance than Altera's am right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back