Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the best USB parts to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Angel

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pdiusbd12d project

I want to experience with usb to a micro controller, anfd in future use it on some projects, to replace the normal serial interface.
There are several chip makers for interfacing, like Cypress or FDTI..

What are the best parts to use. (Manufacturer).
Any experience with normal prices, availability, support etc.

Thanks for any info.

If you are going to sell the usb products that you develop you have to get a Vendor ID from
usb.org this will cost you from $1500 and up
check out https://www.usb.org/developers/vendor.html

If you are a small up starting company or a private person this is a large investment
The customers of FTDI can use FTDI's VID and request a unique PID block from FTDI for their products.
FTDI maintains a list of unique PIDs which can be allocated on request. This is the best approach
and save you a lot of money

off course you have to use their chips but they are good and simple to use

/Wizzard

I agree with Wizzard, I am using FTDI chips in a few products and they make usb as easy as 123!
They are about to release a second generation of thier chip which has some very nice new features and needs less supporting circuitry. Down load the data sheet from the web site.
Royalty free, maintained drivers for Win, Win CE, Mac, Linux.
Hard to beat. Price about £2-30, English Pounds.
8)

Usb ic

G´day :D

Also i´m agree to seek that aproach minimal change in your RS232 project to be USB complaint (using FTDI ic)

By the way if you couldn´t find the FTDI close to your area

another choice is the Philips aproach :

PDIUSBD12D

is easy to be integrated within mcu arena

bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back