Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the applications of state machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv_emf

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends, Here i come up with strange doubt !!

when shud v use STATE machine ?? :O

will it be easier if v fallow state machine or is there any alternative ??
for example --

if v desiging ALU ... wht r the possible ways to design ...
pour in ur thoughts ..
--Thank you
-Shiv

state machines

State machine is used for control unit.

Re: state machines

Hi,

Whenever there is a random logic, then state machine is one of the right approach.

state machines

You might use a state machine to design an ALU but state machines are typically used for control logic like a bus controller.
If the bus controller has multiple states: busy, free, requested, burst, etc. then the controller can have one state for each of those bus situations and each state has logic telling what the bus controller does.

state machines

thanks for reply ...

To practise State machine design ... which is the BEST book ..
I see vry limited info in MORRIS MANO ...

Hi ,

Yakerly may be a good book to start ( i didn't remember correct name ...) ...

regards
yln

hello
if ur going to design any control unit (next state logic,state memory ,output logic)
there state machine design is generally preferrred
say in any high end processor design state machine is preferred for designing the control unit
try this book

MICROPROCESSOR DESIGN USING VHDL

ITS A GREAT BOOK WITH GOOD STATE MACHINE EXAMPLES

You can go for Wakerly or Flatcher or Varsenic all these books have several examples on State machines.
othere then this u can find some info in Routh also
(The above are the autheres name for different books)

i think abover answer is correct

state machines

I know there are two types of machine, moore and mealy. What is the difference between them? When I design a digital circuit or the control units, which the other members mentioned in this topic, why we choose moore machine, not the mealy machine or vice versa? Or we can choose both types for our design. Sorry for my silly question.

richardyue said:
I know there are two types of machine, moore and mealy. What is the difference between them? When I design a digital circuit or the control units, which the other members mentioned in this topic, why we choose moore machine, not the mealy machine or vice versa? Or we can choose both types for our design. Sorry for my silly question.

no question is silly
the silliness is not asking:)

see this, hope it helps

shiv_emf

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I also need some good book to start with state machines. Could you guys please upload it if it is possible..

state machines

There is paper about FSM style in SNUG by Cliff Cummings. this should give you a pretty good overview of FSM.

h**p//www.cs.utah.edu/classes/cs3810/slides/3810-14.pdf

shiv_emf

There is paper about FSM style in SNUG by Cliff Cummings. this should give you a pretty good overview of FSM.

Could you please upload this paper?

baonguyenpro said:
h**p//www.cs.utah.edu/classes/cs3810/slides/3810-14.pdf

hey this link is not working !!

see this topic

it has a really good pdf that explains state machines in details (the second pdf not the first one), it's very useful

Regards,
Salma:)

shiv_emf

FSM is used in situations where we know the function of the system to be designed by we dont know the hardware level ckt.
like if u have to design a ckt which has to give output '1' if the total number of '1' is even. then we prefer fsm as we dont hav a hardware for this.

As far as Mealy and moore are concerned one depends on the present as well as the past inputs where as the other depends only on the past inputs...

haneet said:
As far as Mealy and moore are concerned one depends on the present as well as the past inputs where as the other depends only on the past inputs...
r u sure ??:|

shiv_emf said:
haneet said:
r u sure ??:|

the output in Moore machine depends on the state ( it's specified for each state itself)

the output in Mealy machine depends on the state and the input ( it's specified on the transition from one state to another, according to the inputs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back