Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the advantages of using a 64 bit computer systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiprono

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm wondering if there are any real gains of using a 64 bit operating system compared to the more common 32 bit. It is reported that 64 bit processors machines operate slower when running 32 bit operating systems.

Re: What are the advantages of using a 64 bit computer syste

Currently nothing special becose almost all aplication are 32 bit.
Advantage is that 64 bit procesor can alocate more memory .

If I may add to this...
While a 64-bit processor is able to address more memory, a 64-bit operating system is required to do so.
Further, 64-bit systems are able to process numbers with higher precisions (decimal places) or larger numbers in fewer clock cycles making them faster at such operations. Software performing simulations, mathematical transformations, encryption, and 3D modeling are examples of typical applications where a 64-bit architecture is more beneficial--but only if the software has been written for a 64-bit processor. A 32-bit application running in a 64-bit operating system will still have many of the limitations of that same application running on a 32-bit operating system.

You get to learn zen-like control of your emotions as you learn that many of the software programs and device drivers on your machine are not implemented properly for the 64 bit system. As the system crashes routinely, you can spend your time reading good books while it is rebooting.

Sure! My laptop is 64 bit with 64 bit version of vista. You literally have to download 64 bit drivers for all the software that run on 32 bit. The worst bit is not all vendors have 64 bit drivers, they require u to purchase a new version.

I know exactly what you mean. Vista was a complete joke to the software community, so NOBODY wrote drivers for it. I did not realize this until I bought one for my kid and spent around a week trying to get it to talk to the printer. Whatever you do, do NOT buy a vista system...and especially a vista 64 bit system!!!! and !

kiprono said:
I'm wondering if there are any real gains of using a 64 bit operating system compared to the more common 32 bit. It is reported that 64 bit processors machines operate slower when running 32 bit operating systems.

The main advantage is to increase the memory space, which is mostly useful for programs such as simulators, encoders, graphics processing. It will not help you read your email faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back