Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the advantages of Novas Debussy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mami_hacky

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Any body can describe the benefits of using Debussy for design debugging, and if I can use SimVision instead?

debussy tool

At some point of view, debussy is a schematic, waveform and code viewer and editor. It have almost all function in the simvision. But it is a lot cheaper than simvision. Cadence simvision cost US$50K and debussy cost around US$5K

debussy novas

debussy is far better than simvision. it has advanced waveform viewer which does active annotation. you can trace all signal timings at given instant from waveform viewer to schematics

debussy waveform

hi mama_hacky
debussy has advanced state machine editor, fan in cone display fanout display both in schmatics and RTL. thus it greatly reduces debug time. and you can integrate stnadard simulator like VCS , modelsim and verilog _xl into it
dada

debussy waveform viewer

I have tested SimVision's schematic drawing capability. It helps me to debug my design easier and also to find the source of error quickly. However the schematic is not easy to use and easy to understand, any body can compare the Schematic drawing capability of SimVision and debussy?
Which one gives us better and easier to understand results?

debussy wave viewer

Both of them are computer generated schematic. They are not easy to recognize by human being. It can help to find out the error from the design but not help you to design. You have first understand what are you doing in the design, instead try to get a schematic.

simvision waveform viewer mnemonic maps

OK! Let me describe my design methodology:
First of all, Using HDL Designer, I draw the top block schematic, and then I write the needed verilog codes. ( Or I design the needed State machine, if needed. )
Once the complete set of hdls was generated by HDL Designer, I use NC Sim to simulate the design. There, "schematic drawing" capability of SimVision help me a lot to realize where I have mistakes.

Now, I want exatcly to know, If this capability is better in Novas Debussy than SimVision.
Thanks.

novas debussy

I'm not very clear with your requirement. But I think you just need a schematic view and trace with the node with signals.
If you can stay with simvision, stay with it (I believe you can, right). Otherwise goto debussy is another good chance.
Btw, stay focus on your design rather than always looking for new software !

debussy simvision

debussy does active annotation of signals from waveform viewer to code/schematics which simvision does not. debussy is more like a debugging tool. modelsim has added this feature in 5.7

novus debussy

mami_hacky said:
OK! Let me describe my design methodology:
First of all, Using HDL Designer, I draw the top block schematic, and then I write the needed verilog codes. ( Or I design the needed State machine, if needed. )
Once the complete set of hdls was generated by HDL Designer, I use NC Sim to simulate the design. There, "schematic drawing" capability of SimVision help me a lot to realize where I have mistakes.

Now, I want exatcly to know, If this capability is better in Novas Debussy than SimVision.
Thanks.

Yes, Debussy does offer capabilities like that. It can generate a schematic to help user to visualize the circuit he's building. Debussy allows user to select the level of abstraction he desires. If user choose to view his circuit at a higher level, state machines show up as a square block with a "f" in the middle. User can choose to view the detailed circuit which turns high level blocks in to gates. The gates are like GTECH, not gates from user's technology library.

Visualizing the circuit is only a very small portion of Debussy's powerful capabilities. Active tracing, active annotating, waveform compare etc are more essential to designers. E.g., in your situation, if you see an error in the waveform window, you can use Debussy's active trace to find out which line in your Verilog code is driving the wrong signal at that time. Currently Modelsim is far behind in terms of active tracing.

Regards,
rx300

debussy viewer

who can give a concise tutorial about it!

debussy +novas

Debussy has the following advance features which modelsim or simvision doesn't have:
. clock domain analysis
. Delay Calculation
. import "PrimeTime" timing report to Debussy
. ListX
. Memory window

how to trace signal load in simvision

I think debussy is a very good debug tools , I use debussy to ECO my design. it can help me find easyly some error ,and rewrite the netlist.

so i very like this!

debussy rtl editor

luoliuzhu said:
I think debussy is a very good debug tools , I use debussy to ECO my design. it can help me find easyly some error ,and rewrite the netlist.

so i very like this!

ye,I think so,debussy is a tool to debug easily;But I find it not capacibility to support Spice netlist!
If it can do it I think it will be better!

novas debssy

Leo said:
luoliuzhu said:

so i very like this!

ye,I think so,debussy is a tool to debug easily;But I find it not capacibility to support Spice netlist!
If it can do it I think it will be better!

You can try Sandword to debug spice netlist and waveform.

debussy tool

The result of SANDWORKS is not good, and you can not extract it as a standard graphic file for documentation!

debussy waveform viewer

We use both here, and IMHO Debussy's generated schematics look a lot better than SimVision's. It's also great for looking at fan-in and fan-out cones, as well as tracing logic between two points - very handy for looking at potential false-paths.

I use Simvision for waveform viewing 'cos its groups, mnemonic maps etc are very useful.

debussy verdi trace two points

kwkam said:
At some point of view, debussy is a schematic, waveform and code viewer and editor. It have almost all function in the simvision. But it is a lot cheaper than simvision. Cadence simvision cost US$50K and debussy cost around US$5K
Interesting price comparison - is this 50K for Simvision ALONE or is it for NCSIM + SimVision? I guess it is the latter, if so your comparison is not apples-2-apples. NC is a full fledged simulator + debug tool, Debussy is a *GREAT* debug tool, but not a HDL simulator.

HTH,
Ajeetha
http://www.noveldv.com

debussy hdl

Debussy is the most valuable software I'd ever use in debugging.

novas-debussy

Debussy is very good at trace code, with active annotate, it is easy to find bugs. and the GUI is also very friendly.

Verdi is much better, it can trace not only drive and load, but also across time and registers. it can trace memory based only on the IO behavior of the RAM.

Auto Schematic is always un-readable. but Novas Resuner gives some good edit feature to help create a better schematic, you can move objects, hide some wires, connection are not always left in and right out, but to the nearest objects.

See more on https://www.demosondemand.com/dod/
there is video training on their tools. I think their tools is very useful.

Cadence's IUS GUI is much better now, but still not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back