Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the advantages of AVR over PIC microcontrollers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkiani

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is avr benefiths vs pic microcontrollers.

Re: avr vs pic

It comes first in alphabetical lists.

Seriously, this subject has been done to death. Try a search here and on google.

Jim

avr vs pic

Is there a hobby group in your area? Which one do they use? That one will give you good local support.

Which one has the best distribution/prices in your area? Will one manufacturer send free samples to your area, but the other will not? That is another important point.

avr vs pic

You may as well ask which do you like more, Apples or Oranges. Some like PICs, some like AVR, one or two like TI.

Greetings,

Depends on the application - power consumption, ease of use, availability, price, etc., but from my limited experience...

PIC (Microchip): Many configurations (probably the most), very popular, easy to program (35 instructions), lots of DIP-packaged chips which are easier to prototype, samples readily available, reasonably priced, good support. Easiest to use, but quite inefficent. Best where versatility and ease of use are most important.

AVR (Atmel): Not as many configurations, not quite as popular, also lots of DIP-packaged chips but not as many as PIC, faster and more efficient than PIC, more complex instruction set, samples available but somewhat harder to get, reasonably priced, good support. A good balance of complexity and ease of use. Best where efficiency and ease of use are equally important.

8051 (Intel): Industry standard, most popular, least amount of configurations, samples available from many companies but still not as easy as PIC to get, some DIP packaged chips, the most expensive, don't know about support, Fastest and most efficient, but also the most difficult to program (150+ instructions). Best where speed is of the essence and money is no object.

MPS430 (Texas Instruments): has the lowest power consumption (by a longshot!)

Your experience will likely differ. It is also largely a matter of personal preference. I personally like PICs. That may change as I transition from hobbiest to professional.

Peace

hi start using avr-- particularly atmega8 and atmega16, those are cheap and really good parformance,

use avr-gcc for programming and use ponyprog for uploading-------the cheap and effective method

arnab/vu2bpw

p.s- professionally i use avr///////////////

avr vs pic

I think PICs are suitable for control electronic device but AVRs are suitable for processing (for example dsp or registerical process).In PICs pin controling is easy and in AVRs register controlling is easy .

Status
Not open for further replies.