Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are differences between clock buffer and buffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsairajkiran

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
What are differences between clock buffer and buffer?

Re: clock buffer

clock buffer has the same rise and fall times.i.e input transition=optput transition.
it is the must and should condition for clock buffer,but normal buffer may not be.

thanku

sizzler

clock buffers are symmetrical.

Clock buffers are badly needed in a processor, because the clock spreads all over the processor chip and has to enable every part of the chip.So buffering is needed to boost up the signal and make it to supply the clock signal to every part..

Signal buffers are rarely used for boosting up, because they pass through flops, where they get regenerated. they are used for introducing delays and acquiring inputs from pheripherals..

clock buffer

But can u tell me why clock buffer should have same rise and fall time , how will it affect timing ?

Certain digital circuits make use of the clock both at positive and negative edges..

clock buffer

There are actually two kinds of clock buffers often found in libraries.

One is just regular buffers, that are kind of optimised for better mark/space ratio and less variation from PVT.

The other is actually a dummy kind of clock buffer found in some libraries. This is not a real buffer, but a buffer that will expand to a complete clock-tree during PnR

Generally there are separate entity in the library are there like CLKBUF and CLKINV
but
In 65nm liberary there is not any entity like CLKBUF or CLKINV so could anybody tell me which buffer of inverter should we use for clock tree

Hardik

clock buffer

Are you in PnR or in the Synthesis stage ?

I've seen some vendors use just normal buffers even for clock trees.

Why clock buffer should have same rise and fall time , how will it affect timing ?
According my understanding, same rise and fall time will help in keeping the clock plus symmetric properties. As we know clock is most import part and we don't like change properties. (rise and falling edged rates.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back