Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are charge amplifiers and how they differ from normal amplifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinshoro

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone tell me what are charge amplifiers and what is the difference between normal amplifiers and charge amplifiers and can you suggest me a good component or opamp for charge amplifiers for low frequency sound using piezo crystals????

Re: charge amplifiers

can you tell me a good opamp which would be good for this application like OPA128 or something for analog devices???

charge amplifiers

Hoi,
Ein LEV ist kein OPamp :)...
The best CSAs are from Amptek, then R & S... .
K.

charge amplifiers

I have used the MAX4250 with good results as a charge amp. You need to make sure it would be suitable for you (bandwidth, gain, noise etc.) I used it for a hydrophone amplifier with 21dB of gain from 3850pF up to 100kHz. It beats the performance of a B&K charge amp and runs from 3.3V!

Keith

charge amplifiers

Kystler (CH) has good piezo sensor (dedicated)CSAs too...
K.

hey keith ..i too am working on a pressure gauge. I dont have any data about the piezoelectric transducer..help would be appreciated..

I would need to know something about the pressure transducer. The gain depends on the piezo capacitance. This is one I designed for a B&K hydrophone which worked well.

Keith,

Attachments

• Charge amp.gif
    Charge amp.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 142

Thats the problem Keith. The transducer is scavenged from old stock. I dont have any data sheet and no info. about the transducer. All I can show you is the photograph of the transducer if that's of any use. Thanks. Needed your help.

I dont have any data sheet and no info.
Measuring the capacitance and a rough calibration factor shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for replying FvM. I really appreciate your help. Yes I would try to measure the capacitance. But I have no clue about the calibration factor. As par NI website ,CF is the output of the transducer expressed in mV/V. But how should I measure that? I know the sensitivity of the transducer is 100pC/psi. Here is the transducer I am talking about.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

I checked the capacitance with a DMM. It showed 1nF. Do you suggest the reading is correct?

I know the sensitivity of the transducer is 100pC/psi. ... I checked the capacitance with a DMM. It showed 1nF. Do you suggest the reading is correct?
The order of this value seems quite right (Keith's B&K hydrophone has 3850pF).
Hence your transducer's output voltage will be
δV/δp = (100pC/psi)/1000pF = 0.1 V/psi = 1.93 mV/Torr = 14.5 µV/Pa

The said 0.1V/psi applies, if the transducer is operated in voltage mode, acquiring the output voltage with a high impedance buffer. With a charge amplifier, the amplifier's conversion factor would be put into the calculation instead of the sensor capacitance.

Thanks for your replies guys. But I am still clueless. Maybe it would help me if I can run some simulation with Proteus. The problem I am facing with simulation is that I dont know how to model the transducer accurately. I know it can be modeled as a voltage source with series capacitance or as a current source with parallel capacitance but are these models accurate enough?How do I model the charge generated by a voltage source?(which values i consider?) Moreover what kind of waveform should I expect? Some say charge amp is basically an integrator. Is it so? Sorry for my long post..am just totally lost here. Thank you

In my opinion, your suggested models are representing the transducer sufficiently. In the current source variant, the current represents the pressure change dP/dt while the voltage in the other model represents the pressure. In both cases, you have to decide about the actual waveform of the pressure variation.

A charge amplifier is an integrator with current input respectively low input impedance. And for practical reasons, it has a low frequency roll-off, introduced by the resistor in parallel to the integrator capacitor, in other words, it's designed as a non-ideal integrator. As a practical consequence for a pressure sensor, it can't measure static pressure.

ok i got it. The input voltage waveform will be the pressure waveform I am going to apply. And the capacitance would be the capacitance measured at the transducer output. Thanks. I would let you know about my progress. Thanks guys. You are *** sent..!!

Ok guys, finally I was able to figure out the charge amp. Its working fine now. I used TL082 opamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back