Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what architecture is using for Intel Pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA3040

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

Can you please tell me that what architecture is using for Intel Pentium Processors ( P3,P4 ...)

I mean Harvard or von neuman

Thanks in advance

Von Neuman.

In general, when you have a single bank of RAM, no matter how many 'sticks' it may comprise of, it will be Von Neuman. The same memory holds data structures and the program (for example loaded off hard disk). In a Harvard architecture the program and data have to be stored in different banks, each with their own address and data lines.

Brian.

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dear Betwixt,

Really thanks for the reply
I think Harvard is speed that Von Neuman (fetch and execute in single clock cycle), then what is the matter of fact to select Von Neuman for Intel

Please advice

Last edited:

I think it is mostly for historical reasons. When Intel made the 4040 processor they made the decision to use Von Neuman, possibly becuase at the time it seemed the sensible thing to do. Each generation adopted the same system to be as close as possible to software compatible. So the 4004 became in turn the 4040, 8080, 8086, 80186, 80286, 80386, 80486 then Pentium (80586 was dropped for legal reasons). Intel and other companies made 'spin off' products such as the Z80 series so they could be used as 'up market' replacements for some of these but still share the instruction set.

With the PC architecture being adopted so widely, it wouldn't make sense to suddenly change to a different bus system as it would mean a complete new market to compete in.

Interestingly, back about 15 years ago, Centaur made a drop-in replacement for the Pentium which was actually a Harvard RISC processor emulating a real Pentium. It was faster than the Pentium at the time but couldn't keep pace with Intel for long.

Brian.

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.