Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What antenna is good for mini wifi tag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomTang

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing one wifi tag,and using PCB as antenna,but the distance is much shorter than EVM board. Because the size and room is very small for antenna,so I want to choice antenna chip,the size is smaller than 8x2x1mm.

What antenna chip is good for me?

Thank you!

Simplest antenna is a monopole, were ground is mirroring the antenna. Ground plane dimensions is equal important as the antenna space from antenna functional view. Now we can guess what ground plane size your PCB have, and antenna space relative to ground dimensions. Environment? TX/RX?
If you is the designer, why not start with designing antenna space according to your performance requirement before you fill up PCB with other components?
Antenna is the only component that not easily can be resized or relocated on PCB without consequences for the whole construction performance. I recommend that you remake the PCB and make a full PCB dipole on PCB, 15*40 mm is enough space to make a decent antenna, and then relocate battery and chip to remaining 2*3 mm PCB area. If your WiFi chip not fit in that space is a simpler problem to solve then shrinking antennas without loosing performance, and that space ratio seems as a better balanced design.
If you find resulting performance too good with that size of antenna, cut half a way, else not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back