Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What’s the difference between current-transformer and voltag

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZengLei

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I found that the CT could make the voltage in secondary higher than primary ,so is the CT can be seen as a voltage-transformer????
What’s the difference between current-transformer and voltage-transformer??????
Thanks~~~~~

Re: What’s the difference between current-transformer and vo

i think a current transformer gives a voltage proportional to the current in the primary.. for voltage transformer it gives voltage proportional to voltage in primary...

Transformer is a device where energy neither created nor destroyed. in this way CT is the one which is a step up or step down current while holding same energy at input as well as output. same statement applies to voltage transformer...

ZengLei,
There is no fundamental difference between the two. Typically a current transformer will have a primary with a small number of turns of large diamter wire, to minimize the voltage drop across the primary. This is because you want to be able to measure current (by inserting the primary in series with the circuit to be measured) without altering the current that existed without the current transformer. The current transformer also typically has a high turns ratio. The load resistance that is reflected back to the primary is equal to the (fixed) load resistance connected to the secondary divided by the square of the turns ratio. The lower the reflected resistance is, the smaller the voltage drop across the primary will be.
Regards,
Kral

ZengLei

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

ya current transformer can be used as voltage transformer too.... but the main thing is they are optimised for different purposes...

ZengLei

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks all~~~~~~

and what's the crucial parameter i must note when i use a CT,THANKS~~~~~

- current rating ..
- turns ratio ..
- burden resistor ..

For more details goto:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP