Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weird resistor color code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZASto

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Messy Corner, 44°47'31.56"N, 20°28'9.16"E
Activity points
Hi,
in one SMPS I found blown resistor with the following color code:
Yellow (4)
Violet (7)
Gold (???)
Gold
Black.

Can not figure out the value :(
Dimensions of the resistor are as standard MF0207 metal film.

I guess that it is fusible resistor, placed in series with primary of the ferrite transformer, on the other side of primary is TinySwitch TNY268.
WTF is resistor in primary?

Attachments

• 20201011_190846.jpg
    20201011_190846.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141

Thanks Brian, That's what I suspected.
But, to your knowledge, is there any "calculator" for this kind of marking? I have no problems with ordinary 4/5/6 band resistors, (memorised color values 40+ years ago :))

(memorised color values 40+ years ago :))
50+ years ago for me :confused:

It seems to follow the standard 'two digits plus multiplier' sequence (4, 7, * 0.1) with the second gold band being 5% tolerance. The final band might mean fusible or hi-stability, there are inconsistencies between manufacturers. 4.7 Ohms would seem the right kind of value to use as an inrush limiter/fuse in your application.

Brian.

Hi,

for me the first band looks to be green, but I might be wrong.

I usually use the calculator provided by Digikey [1], but there it is not possible to select gold as 3rd band and black as 5th band.

[1] https://www.digikey.com/en/resource...ors/conversion-calculator-resistor-color-code

BR
I do not need to use calculators for resistors :)

To you first band may look green, photo was taken under LED "natural white" light, but, you know, white LEDs do not have full color spectrum. It is YELLOW :), trust me.

Anyway, thanks for pointing to a calculator, some youngsters might find it useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back