Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wave form in mixer input ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

STOIKOV

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a double-balanced Gilbert mixer, there are two input ports RF and LO.
For local oscillator (LO) input, the wave form has to be sinusoidal or square ?
Depends is mixer is working as down-converter or up-converter ?

For best gain the LO level should be high enough to turn the transistors full on to full off. This can be done with a high level sine wave or a lower level square wave. Since square waves are difficult to generate at microwave frequencies, sine waves are used.

One thing about the nomenclature is that this mixer topology goes back to 1950 when Gilbert was in grammar scchool.

STOIKOV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks for your reply,
One more doubt about input signals, if I simulate or characterize a Gilbert cell, RF signal must have a DC component in order to bias the MOS. What about LO signal ? Just levels 0 to 1 if sqare wave or sinusoidal without DC component; or must have DC component ?

You need a DC level also on the LO signal. All transistors should be in the active ( decent Vce or Vds) when both the LO and RF AC components are zero and the DC components are present.

STOIKOV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I see, so if I am designing an integrated ring VCO as local oscillator to apply its signal to the LO port, how can I adjust the DC value of the output signal ? Aditional blocks like opamps ?
Will you have an schematic that shows wave forms and biasing ? Most of papers literature just show circuits without biasing.

Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back