Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water Inlet Valve - Ice Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

TymerTopCat

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Problem: I have a Whirlpool ice maker that works, but only produces half of the ice during an ice cycle. This problem is because the ice maker is connected to a Rerverse Osmosis (RO System) it has low water pressure. The ice maker does have a water level adjustment, however the adjustment is not enough to fill the ice tray.

Problem: Ice maker turns on the water inlet valve for 7 seconds, I need the water inlet valve to produce water for about 12 seconds instead of 7.

Possible Solution?
Build an analog circuit that uses the 7 seconds of 110 volt output from the ice maker, and creates a (delay off) timer of 12 seconds.

Would this be possible?

Said in other words, the ice maker energizes the water inlet valve (110 volts) for 7 seconds, I need to keep the Water inlet valve open (energized) for 12-15 seconds. Could we use the seven seconds of (110 volts) to charge a capacitor, and then use the capacitor to energize the water inlet valve for 12-15 seconds? The timing of the circuit does not matter as the ice tray fill is the last step in the ice making cycle.

Hi,

Doubt it. A capacitor charges up to ~63% in one time constant but discharges down to ~37% in one time constant...

Why not look into 'off-delay' relays or modules instead?

Thanks for your reply. I am a software engineer, but not a Electrical engineer. And so I was ignorant of "Off-delay" relays.
I am currently looking into the relays.

I was just looking to solve a simple problem with the simplest solution.
The Off delay relay looks to be one way to solve my problem.
If I am thinking correctly the Off Delay relay can be set to delay off in any number of seconds:

Not sure how to wire this Off Delay relay into the system. Because I don't know (yet), the behavior of the Off Delay Relay.
If I wire the Off Delay relay to the ice makers 110/120 volt output in front of the Water Inlet valve, When the Ice Maker energizes the Off Delay relay for 7 seconds and then turns off. Will the Off Delay relay continue to energize the Water inlet valve for 5 more seconds, after the the power is cut?

I may have to have an additional power wire to power the Off Delay relay?

Hi,

...and I don't know anything about the innards of icemakers, unfortunately.

Pictures of wiring and documents or links to device specifications are a more accurate way of people offering informed suggestions.

You can get on or off delay switches that turn on or off at the start or end of a signal, all flavours for all needs, and additional power path would be needed for one.

If you can put together a picture of the icemaker wiring, a smarter person than myself will be able to suggest what goes where, hopefully.

Here's a method to extend a DC pulse (although it's not clear if the initial signal is AC or DC):

capacitor sample-n-hold darlington extends 7 sec On-time.png

To obtain longer discharge time from the capacitor, we can make the transistors a Darlington pair, which draws very little bias current from the capacitor. Thus its value can be small and less expensive. With a little effort you can change it to an NPN-PNP pair, relay, scr, etc.

This is theoretical of course. The above is similar to a sample-n-hold circuit. It's not likely you can simply drop it into your ice maker. You need to find out whether its voltage is AC or DC, and how the 7 seconds of On-time is obtained.

And your whole job is easier if you can find a built-in adjustment for On-time in the ice maker.

Hi,

First please download an OFF_delay_relay datasheet. There should be wiring examples (if not choose another datasheet).
Read to them.

If then still something is unclear, then please post a (hand drawn) sketch of the current wiring.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.