Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wat does 65nm 90nm mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnala

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
wat does 65nm 90nm 130nm 180nm mean.....

kindly elaborate details around this topic.

Generally the feature size is refered to as 90nm or 100nm etc

nm(nanometer) meaning the feature size of the smallest transistor that can be manufactured with that particular technology.

Feature size is half the length of the channel of the smallest transistor that can be manufactured using that technology.

It refers to Lmin of the MOSFETs that can be fabricated using that particular technology.

Lmin is the minimum channel length.

NMOS and PMOS are defined by the gate lenght and width . the smallest gate length available in the library cells determines the technology .. For example the min gate length for a perticular Library is 65 nm .. then it catagorized as 65nm technolog.

suresh

it means
half of the length of the transistor=65nm

less the size more the density

i think u herd that 65nm and 85nm from FPGA

altera Stratix 3 is of 65 nm technology
means the transistor which can be used in that fpga is of the length(half) of 65 nm
Length means distance between source and drain

okay man

What is the topic? Is it NM or Nm or nm

1) NM may stand for:
-Nautical mile, a unit of length used for maritime and aviation purposes

2) nm may stand for:

-Nanometre, an SI unit of length, equal to 10-9 m (a thousand-millionth of a metre)

3) Nm may stand for:

-Newton metre (N m or N·m), a unit of moment
-Gene flow (when used is population genetics)

If you are confused just tell where did you get the numbers from to be able to help you
DO not forget to push the HELPED button

generally a vlsi chip is measured with the technology used to manufacture it,,, and this technology name comes from the gate length of the smallest transistor used in the chip and generally techlogy enhances the gate size decreases ,,,it could be 65nm r 90nm ,,nm is nanometer

Added after 8 minutes:

actually it is the half the gate length of a smallest transistor

it depends upon given data
it is nanao meter
about ic sizing
some times it is source to drain
and some times complete inverter circuit of mosfet
and sometimes complete circuit of ic

you already got the answer. it is actually Lmin of the transistor

actually X nm technology represents that minimum dimension of poly layer that can be fabricated in that technology.

hey ...in some of the above posts...ppl saying ....65 nm is "HALF" the channel length(i.e equal to Feature size)....whereas some saying its the channel length(tht means must be twice the Feature size)......

can someone clarify....watz the actual answer...as far as i m aware its the Lmin n not feature size(of course it can even be referenced wrt Feature size)

thnx a lot

lambda based rules are used for fabrication afaik.. where lambda is twice the minimum feature size.. so 65nm is the length of the channel..

it is refers to the Lmin used in the CMOS .... 65nm means d min length of d cmos gate is 65nm.....

65 and 90 nm referes to the Lmin of the transistor wafer.

Please check .. some of the good discussion is also done before also...

they have put some diagram also to explain

Last edited by a moderator:

It meant the feature size or the minimum length of the gate of a x tor.

Hi,
Nice topic.I have a question here.

1.What is the difference beween 90nm design flow and 130nm design flows.
please help me find answer to this.
Because as far i know as the technology shrinking Signal integrity effects(like crosstalk,EM,Antenna) come into picuture.

Thanks in advance,
chinni.

If chennal length is L then technology is 2L.

Added after 12 minutes:

For higher abstract level you can say that minimum spacing between the chip element (transistor) is equal to technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back