Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

want to save a string in memory and then transmit on serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

j hemangini

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to save a string let "I am testing serial" on a memory address and then read each character one by one from that memory address.
So please tell me how can i define a memory address ,and can save this string on that address.
thank you.

Re: want to save a string in memory and then transmit on ser

j hemangini said:
I want to save a string/.../
I'm not sure if I understand the requirement correctly ...
if you mean:
"i want to store 4/8/16/? bytes in a memory as a
parallel word and then read them out byte by byte"

you can:
- create a mux at the output of the memory;
- push byte by byte of your test word to a fifo using a mux
at the input;
---

But firstly how can i save this sentence (I am testing serial) in the memory . Means how can i write it in vhdl code. I have spartan-3a starter kit on which i have to do this work.
Thank you.

You will have to save a binary code corresponding to each character in your sentence in a memory. Then use VHDL model to read the memory and transmitt it. For strings using 'ascii' codes as binary codes is a good idea.
kr,
Avi

Ok.
Now can u tell me how can i define an array , and how can i access byte by byte from that arry.
If i want to define an array having values[1,2,3,4,5] etc ,and want to access each values one by one then how can i write it in vhdl code?

Reading your questions it looks like if youwer not familiar with FPGAs. FPGAs are hardware not SW.

What type of serial comunicaton do you want to implement? Synchronous, asynchronous?

If you're talking about pre-loading the internal Block RAM of FPGA, maybe this will help.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

These will help you implement the use of distributed block RAM in the FPGA, which can be used in many ways, including pre-loaded memory as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back