Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to buy a Laptop Please suggest from the following laptops or suggest someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpress_embedo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!!
Right now i am using Pentium 4 Desktop PC having windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 in it.
Its is having 500GB Hard Disk, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, but still my PC is very very slow, as i am using Pentium 4 2.66 GHz Processor.

This PC is around 8 years Old and i had increased its RAM to 2GB and changed its Motherboard, but had not changed the processor.

Some of the Software i used normally are as follow:-
MPLAB-X
PIC32 and 8-bit Compiler of PIC
mikroC for AVR and PIC
Keil for 8051 and ARM
CoCox Ide along with GNU C ARM Compiler
Proteus
Eagle
Basic4Android
MATLAB
CodeBlocks
Microsoft Office
Techsmith Camtasia
Camstudio

Softwares.PNG

I found some of the laptops on flipkart, here is the comparision
My Budget is around Rs35000
and i think DELL VOSTRO 2520 LAPTOP (3RD GEN CI5/ 4GB) is best for me.

https://www.flipkart.com/computer/compare?ids=COMDHJVNHHPUY9JS,COMDHZ2R72BHZH9X,COMDGSZAUFHNHGSD

Please suggest me any other Laptop which you think will suit my purpose and in under my budget.

I can not recommend a specific laptop but memory and video are very important. 4GB RAM is good enough for most. Get a fast video card that has it's own memory [NOT shared memory - shared memory is a favourite 'trick' to reduce cost].

My primary importance is Running the engineering softwares, do i still need a laptop which have video memory separate, as i hardly watches movies and other video stuff.
My budget is also upto Rs35K

not separate but a decent video card with its own memory

something that is not appreciated is just how much graphics work is done by Windows and how intensive it is

a slow video sub-system can make the entire system seem slow.

every time a window is re-sized, or moves[to the front or back, or XY], or the contents change it means the entire screen is re-done

it does NOT only apply to movies and such.

Can you suggest me a laptop falling under this criteria and is under my budget.
As i want to compare other specs.

sadly that website is not very good at giving detailed information

I read User reviews and the Dell Vostro Core i5 has a rating of 4.3 Out of 5.

Anyways thanks for your help.

buy a Asus laptop, Dell products are not that good
HP has bloated software installed, so the best bet is Asus
As for your desktop PC it will be better to upgrade
the processor to Core 2 Duo or better Core i5

As for your desktop PC it will be better to upgrade
the processor to Core 2 Duo or better Core i5

My Motherboard supports Upto Core 2 Duo Only and in generation of i5 and i7 it is not worthy to buy Core 2 Duo.

I will Asus Laptops also.

Go with HP or Lenovo laptops 4th Gen i3 or i5 4 GB RAM. Speed 3.1GHZ or 2.44 GHZ .It is enough for your application. ..

Go with HP or Lenovo laptops 4th Gen i3 or i5 4 GB RAM. Speed 3.1GHZ or 2.44 GHZ .It is enough for your application. ..

i agree with this one...or you can go with i7 too. lenovo is not so expensive compared to mac and i heard it is preferred by most companies.

Lenovo Y580 might suit your needs. i7 which is most significant while working with mentioned programms is the top what you might reach now.

From my IT experience I have not had any problems with either any of the Dell , Sony Vaio, or Toshiba laptops.

If you are looking for a light weight laptop, I would recommend the Sony Vaio. I would also recommend a dell for their 3 year warranty as per the others that have the standard 1 year warranty.

The applications that u r using are not needy on hardware but most of applications these days are optimized for multi core architecture, its better if u buy a second desktop with mini-ITX cabinet, core i7-4770 processor and 4GB or more memory with compatible ASUS or other motherboard. 400W to 600W PSU. And u r done. Nothing else required and u need not to worry for another 8 to 10 years. And building this will cost u much less than a laptop.
If u r someone who travels a lot only then get a laptop, otherwise get a desktop bcoz desktops are very reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back