Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

want to build nerve stimulator HELP NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrzargar

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I WANT TO BUILD A NERVE STIMULATOR WITH FOLLOWING FEATURES
1 out put current 0 to 60 mA (variable)
2 out put frequency 1 Hz
3 square wave monophasic pulse
4 output voltage 25 to 35 volts
5 pulse duration 10 mSec

Last edited:

2 out put frequency 1 Hz

PLEASE STOP!!!
The machine you intend to build will kill you or anyone in an instant!

Nerve or muscle stimulators apply not more than 60 microamperes, and the voltage should not exceed ~ 3 V. Any multivibrator or a 555 timer can be used, but PLEASE do not try to use more than a 9V battery to power the pulse generator, and use a 10 kOhm resistor minimum in series with the probes.

Read any instruction of a muscle stimulators, how to handle them: never any current may be allowed to pass through the heart (between arms, or, between left hand and the right leg). Try your generator on yourself, never do it alone, and best of all, consult a doctor who uses professional muscle or nerve stimulators for advice.

I believe TENS machines actually do produce up to 60mA and generate quite high voltages although given 2mA can kill I am not sure how they don't. Maybe it is the very short duration of the current pulse. Either way, be very, very careful - you are playing with lethal voltages and currents.

Keith

Thank you for your reply
i am a researcher and i am going to use it in wet lab (not on humans) and more so the specifications i have listed are from one of the manufacturer .i am a novice in electronics, can you kindly give me circuit diagram so that it is easy for me to build it
duration of pulse 10 mSec
regards
hrz

If you can operate the device safely, then the simplest designs are two : use a two-transistor astable multivibrator, with e.g. 2N3055 transistors; they can operate with DC voltage up to 60 V, and deliver the current of >60 mA. You can try also MOSFETs like IRF540.
Another design would use a 555 timer (only use a Zener or another voltage regulator for it, it operates with 15V max.) driving a 2N3055 or IRF540 output buffer.

2 out put frequency 1 Hz
5 pulse duration 10 mSec

OK here you go ready made project

Attachments

• Tens Unit.7z
    720.3 KB · Views: 78

Status
Not open for further replies.