Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VU Meter Buffer Gain Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hertzilla

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking for a simple way (minimum components) to pre-set/adjust the gain of this mixing console VU meter circuit by approx. +/-1db:

vu-meter_amp.jpg

Component values:
--------------------
R125, R128 = 470K
R129 = 10 ohms
C103, C105 = 22uf
IC26 = TL071

Thanks!

Last edited:

Change the buffer into a +1 dB (G=1.12) non-inverting amplifier (+ 2 resistors) and R128 into a variable divider (+ 1 pot).

It sounds as though you want to detect any slight change in volt level (+/-1dB is about the same as +/-10 percent). The meter deflects immediately, then takes a second or two to settle back to center. In that sense the circuit automatically pre-sets itself.

Is this your plan? Your schematic has one or both signals going through a series capacitor, which is a simple method to detect a change in voltage up or down. The capacitor is in an RC network with values selected to yield a time constant of about 1 second. Whatever is the incoming DC level, while it is constant the resulting output is 0, or centered. Any change causes a reading up or down lasting briefly.

It basically a unity gain buffer at the moment. I think my approach would be like FvM, add two resistors in the feedback to increase the gain to +1dB then add a potentiometer at the input to back it off again.

Brian.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not looking to change detection level/time constant, only amplitude.

Although adjustable gain would be ideal, I only need to match the output of this to another identical circuit (for left & right VU meters), so just attenuating the signal by 1/2 to 1db or so on one of the circuits would probably work. Ideally, I would like to just replace a single component (R129?) to accomplish this without cutting traces on the mixer's existing PCB.

If that won't do the trick and I do have to cut a trace, would inserting this pot work?:

meter_amp_mod.gif

Last edited:

I replaced R129 with a 100 ohm 1% resistor, providing the correct attenuation at just under 1dB.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.