neelam

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
volume level using ic cd4051

dear friends

can anybody please help me out design a simple low cost volume controller of 15 steps minimum and interfaced with 8051

waiting for reply
thankyou
neelam

Not a hard task, using 4 output ports, design the port with resistor networks which is connected to the divider.

From Audio ----resistor ---- ------------------ ----> audio ouput
| | | |
Resistor networks -

P0 P1 P2 P3

Probably the easiest way of controlling volume level by 8051 is to use a digital potentiometer.
Good example on how to do this you can find at MAXIM site:
**broken link removed**
Controlled using a 3-wire interface, Maxim also offers the MAX5400/1/2 devices. These offer 256 taps for those applications needing slightly higher resolution and have a 3-wire protocol available for control.

Thanks stephen_h & IanPfor replying. But stephen_h if i go your way where to give the audio input as the resistors network would be connected to 89c51.

The option with resistors can be realized as per attached drawing.
Lins P0 to P3 control volume in 16 steps, line P4 = Audio OFF.
Selecting values of resistors you have to remember that audio control should be ( as our hearing is), logarythmic ..

Neelam,

You could try using the uC with an analog multiplexer like CD4051/ CD4067 to implement tone/vol control.

I hope that this helps.

bimbla.

hi,

U can use CD4067 analog multilplexer for volume controller with 16 steps.
U can drive select lines of that with 89C51 port.

Build a voltage divider as per required steps in db and connect audio signal to the voltage divider and connect ech node of the divider to input channel of 4067. and op of 4067 will be ur volume controlled signal.

Plz find attached drawing scheme......forgive for my bad drawing.

There are also available volume controller ICs from Princeton or u can use digital potentiometers available from Maxim.

Best Luck..

suryakant.

you can use
PT2257 series- Electronic volume controller IC in 8-pin SO package. from Princeton
Technology Corp.

it is I2c controlled device , easliy interface witch microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.