Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

666shan666

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need some assistance regarding step-up transformers.
I used to live in Chandigarh, India & the voltage here varies from 220v-230v. But recently I move to the outskirts of the city & now where I live has a lot of voltage issues. Due to this one of my computer UPS got burnt, literally. I need to power up my 1200 watt computer for which I am using an APC BR1500-IN with extra battery. The problem is that the voltage never stays at 230v. Rather, it rarely reaches 230v. It some times fluctuates between 212-216 volts, but more often than not, stays at 188v-194v. Frequently, goes below 180v to to 164v, 150v & even 130v. The APC power chute software helps me get these values. I was using a stabilizer & a surge protector, they cant fix a voltage this low. Due to this, the UPS does not charge properly. I charges when it receives 204v or above. when the voltage goes below 180v, the UPS switches to battery power. I need to convert this low voltage to 220v or 230v stable to ensure no loss of property. I was looking at a 2000watt step up transformer imported from US- New 2000W Step UP/Down Voltage Converter Transformer $ (Rs. 5863)
What I want to know is, if this transformer requires 110v-127v input, what effect will it have if it gets 188v or more?
If that is fatal to the transformer, can I connect two of them in series? One will connect to 188v input to 110v output, & this output will connect to 110v input of second transformer to 220v output. Will this combination, or for that matter, anything work for me? Or is it just a wild goose chase?

What I would do is to get a mains to LV transformer, say 220v to 24V with the secondary rated at your computers working current (you said 1200 W @ 220 V = 6A?). Now using some sort of voltage detection device, say a DC slave relay with a lot of zener diodes in series with its coil, driving a mains switching relay. The idea is that the mains relay is energised when the mains is normal and de-enegised when the mains is low. When the mains is normal the mains is routed through a set of contacts to the UPS. When the mains goes low, you ADD the extra 24V in series with it so, you might get say 180 V + 180/220 X 24V ~ 20V so your incoming mains is boosted by 20 V from 180 to 200V. You have to ensure that there is enough hysterisis in the circuit so the switching is cleanly done.
frank

I know u are trying to explain, but I'm seriously not getting anything. :!: :oops:

666shan666,

You should use ac main supply booster (step-up)
This is actually a common thing to do in many countries, where power supply can be unreliable or fluctuating at times.

Try this! This is a common booster for a relatively affordable price.
New 2000W Step UP/Down Voltage Converter Transformer

What I would do is to get a mains to LV transformer, say 220v to 24V with the secondary rated at your computers working current (you said 1200 W @ 220 V = 6A?). Now using some sort of voltage detection device, say a DC slave relay with a lot of zener diodes in series with its coil, driving a mains switching relay. The idea is that the mains relay is energised when the mains is normal and de-enegised when the mains is low. When the mains is normal the mains is routed through a set of contacts to the UPS. When the mains goes low, you ADD the extra 24V in series with it so, you might get say 180 V + 180/220 X 24V ~ 20V so your incoming mains is boosted by 20 V from 180 to 200V. You have to ensure that there is enough hysterisis in the circuit so the switching is cleanly done.
frank

666shan666,

You should use ac main supply booster (step-up)
This is actually a common thing to do in many countries, where power supply can be unreliable or fluctuating at times.

Try this! This is a common booster for a relatively affordable price.
New 2000W Step UP/Down Voltage Converter Transformer

Thanks for the reply, Could tell me the product I should buy? Maybe if it is available on ebay. This is where I can buy stuff from.

You can consider voltage regulator transformer
**broken link removed**

This is a common all-in-1 solution and saves you from stepping down from unreliable 230Vac to reliable 110Vac, then stepping up from reliable 110Vac to reliable 230Vac.

Hope this helps solve your problem. Good luck! :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.