Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap_J

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
I'm trying to simulate circuit as below and it just doesn't work as described. This circuit should convert voltage (0-10 V) to frequency (0-10 kHz), so 1 V per 1 kHz. Maybe there is something wrong with this circuit?

I found this circuit on this website and also there is full description of this project: https://www.eleccircuit.com/voltage-to-frequency-converter-circuit/

I'm using Proteus 7.6 SP4 to simulate this circuit because only this software is available in my school.

I know that there is really great precision voltage to frequency converter like LM331 but I want to make this circuit in smaller scale of integration.

I would be glad if someone answer my question.

I assume when you say it doesn't work means your output is a flag dc signal?
I suggest you to probe the in/output signals of each IC and check which signal is not in expectation for debug purpose.

A REAL oscillator uses circuit noise to begin oscillating. A simulation has no noise so oscillation does not begin. In a simulation you need to add a pulse (a kick) to the input for oscillation to begin.

EDIT: Oh, the About Us on the ElecCircuit.com has the owner admitting that he has poor English and a person commenting says the owner is a novice in electronics. I think in India. Then maybe this circuit Does Not Work.

Last edited:

So, I connect DC generator to the input (Vin) and oscilloscope to the output (Fout) of this circuit.

If I set Vin to 1V - I get nothing on output (Fout).

If I set Vin to 2V - I need to wait few minutes until input voltages will be at the same level and then I can see output signal (Fout).

If I set Vin to 3V - I get output signal (Fout) instantly at the start of simulation.

If I set Vin to 4V - I need to wait minute/two until input voltages will be at the same level and then I can see output signal (Fout).

If I set Vin to 5V - I get output signal (Fout) instantly at the start of simulation.

If I set Vin to 6V - I get output signal (Fout) instantly at the start of simulation.

If I set Vin to 7V - I need to wait 5-6 seconds until input voltages (on the right op-amp IC) will be at the same level and then I can see output signal (Fout).

If I set Vin to 8V, 9V and 10V - I get nothing on output (Fout).

Any ideas?

I played a little with the circuit, and I couldn't get more than a 2:1 variation in output frequency.
I think it's a poorly designed circuit.
I suggest you look for something else.
What frequency range do you want?

Here's the LTspice simulation of a 555 timer configured as a VCO.
It uses a Howland constant-current source to generate a charging current for the C2 timing capacitor proportional to the In voltage.
It's maximum frequency is near 11kHz with 10V input for the shown component values.

Reactions: Cap_J

Cap_J

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you so much! Now it's working pretty well .

Status
Not open for further replies.