Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage swing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

On your first post you said:
"The maximum output voltage swing of the op-amp is ± 3 V
Then use this information.

Klaus

Hi Klaus so are you saying produce a waveform using -3 and +3. Im getting mixed up now.

Hi,

Hi Klaus so are you saying produce a waveform using -3 and +3. Im getting mixed up now.

I don´t know WHERE you are mixed up?
Maybe you mix up INPUT THRESHOLD voltages and OUTPUT SWING VOLTAGES.

Klaus

Yeah thats where I was mixed up

Threshold voltages are 0 V and 3 V
Output swing is either -3 V or +3 V

Still mixed up ?

The input is a triangle wave so would the output generate a square wave with peaks and troughs of 0V and 3V?
"The maximum output swing of the opamp is ± 3 V with the power supply shown" and the opamp has positive feedback causing its output voltage to have the maximum output swing.

The next question asked by your teacher will probably be, "at what input threshold voltages does the comparator output change directions?" and I show them here:
EDIT: I corrected the voltage on my sketch.

Attachments

• opamp as comparator.png
    opamp as comparator.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 66

Hi,

Sorry i'm a little confused here do I sketch a graph with triangle waves or square waves from -3 to +3?

Hi,

Sorry i'm a little confused here do I sketch a graph with triangle waves or square waves from -3 to +3?
The triangle wave input is a that goes from -4.5V to +4.5V.
Since the opamp has positive feedback then its squarewave output goes to its maximums of -3V and +3V.

OK, here is the expected output wavefrom, in red, superimposed to the graph of the input voltage:

I hope now is clear

Ah i see yes it's clear! much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.