Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] voltage suppressor components is not enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winsu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I need to design a circuit with can withstand a number of pulses voltage. According to my calculations just Gas Discharge tubes could be withstand the amount of energy. The problem is that I can not use Gas discharge tubes because it could be in a flammable environment.

I thinking in a circuit which could disconnect the AC line one it has detected overvoltage but I am not sure what and how I could do that. Anyone has an idea?

You give us no information.

First you say you have to "withstand a number of pulses", then you start talking about gas discharge tubes. Are you trying to design overvoltage protection, or are you trying to design a circuit can tolerate overvoltages; that's two different things. You need to know how much energy is in those pulses. What voltage? How fast do you need your protection (if that's what you want) to turn on?

Your solution could be as simple as an MOV (varistor), a transorb, or a crowbar.

Gas discharge tubes should be sealed. Unlike
(say) a "spark gap" which is the same thing,
only not (both arc, but "tube").

Paralleling transzorb devices could be a
way to go subject to available voltage,
current ratings vs threat, vs current sharing,
etc.

I believe MOVs are not rated for high repetitive
clamping, they have (or earlier generations
did) some "creep" as the material gets
electrically hammered again and again?

Hi,

For sure gas discharge tubes are sealed ... otherwise there soon will be no gas.

And I agree with Barry: Without informations it's hard to help.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back