Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage stabiliser using zener diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikens

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I searched for zener on wikipedia, aslo found some diagram for voltage stabiliser, but don't know where do you apply + and where -.
And if I understand, zener conducts electricity in forward position like regular diode, but its brake down voltage (reverse voltage) is lower and it is determined as zener voltage (like 5, 9, 12V...). So does this mean that reverse biased zener will conducts if input voltage is hgher than zener voltage?
Will that mean that in below diagram zener will conduct if supply will be higher than zener voltage and differences between input voltage and zener voltage, multiply by current flow across zener will be power loss on a zener - zener will produce heat. Is it correct than if I say that + should be brought to the resistor side?
220px-Zener_diode_voltage_regulator.svg.png
[/img]

You should buy one and play with it in the lab. It is better to do, than to be told about something.

Hi,
Make yourself measurements on a pwr supply (or battery), but use current limiting (drowed resistor is a currentlimiter), and check it with opposit polarty too:_)
You will see the answer automaticly.
Take a zener of i.e. 5.6V, apply In-voltages(0---+10V & with opposit polarity: 0...-10V) over i. e. 1KOhm on that & measure Udiode!
What are you seen/learned pls?
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.