Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator not in 78xx family

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaledOsmani

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is there any type of DC-DC voltage regulators, other than the 78xx family?
i.e can operate even if the input voltage isn't bigger with +2 than the output voltage

Hi,

Is there any type of DC-DC voltage regulators, other than the 78xx family?
i.e can operate even if the input voltage isn't bigger with +2 than the output voltage

Try LM1117 family of low dropout linear regulators.

There are many "low dropout" voltage regulators available. Some need a minimum input only 0.3V higher than the output.

A 9V battery drops to 6V during its life. When I use a 9V battery with a 5V regulator I use an LM2931AZ-5 which is in a little TO-92 transistor case and its max current is 100mA with a 0.3V typical dropout voltage. When its load is only 10mA then its dropout voltage is only 0.05V.
Most low dropout regulators need a certain minimum value for an output capacitor.

What power? Fixed V? Or Adjustable. What efficiency? Or dont care?

given modern LDO's use low RdsOn MOSFET, bandgap Vref and comparator, there are thousands of choices in stock at distributors like,D-K with mV dropout selectable at any current up to 6A

There are shunt regulators. (Example, zener diode, zener with transistor.) These are different from series regulators. They start their regulating action immediately as the supply voltage rises above the regulating voltage.

They are not necessarily the most efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.