Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage readings from Dell T1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingslayer

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

my research group just bought an Intel i7 quad-core processor in a Dell Precision T1500 Desktop Workstation. We use it as a test-bench for our low-power and temperature-aware design, and we are interested in getting voltage readings.

Using the sysfs interface under Linux, we got 9 different voltage values (thery are exported to the user-space through appropriate text files), but I do not know what these values refer to :-?. The on-board Super I/O chip that is used to monitor voltage and temperature is a F71882FG. Does anyone of you know how to interpret those results?

Thanks in advance

Small geometry CMOS like used for i series processors have high leakage current. These series of processor have extensive power management. From what you describe it sounds like variable clock frequency depending on processor SW loading. The lower the required clock frequency, the lower the supply voltage on digital core. It can range from about 0.6vdc to 1.35 vdc for 45 nm parts.

I/O's have different supply with different gate oxide thickness to take higher voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back