Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Mode DC-DC Buck Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

iscmos

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone give me a clue about the maximum duty cycle and minimum on time of voltage-mode DC-DC buck converter? I konw there is maximum duty cycle and minimum on time for current-mode DC-DC converter, they are dependent on CLK signal, but for voltage-mode, it seems has nothing to do with CLK signal, so does this mean there is no limit for maximum and minimum?Thanks!

i just answered this long but site crashed.

in brief, you can get controllers with all ranges of on and off min/max etc

The maximum duty-cycle has nothing to do with the current or voltage mode, it only depends on the internal circuitry. So it can be 100%, even for a voltage-mode buck.

VVV said:
The maximum duty-cycle has nothing to do with the current or voltage mode, it only depends on the internal circuitry. So it can be 100%, even for a voltage-mode buck.

That was I thought, you konw, in theory, the range could vary from 0% to 100%, but if it works in the limited condition, what is the response of DC-DC loop?
Also there is buck-boost converter can resolve this problem, especially when vin is very near to vout.

If the duty-cycle is limited by the internal circuiry, then the loop is simply open and the output just follows the input, according to the duty-cycle:
Vout=Dmax*Vin,

so any change in Vin will be reflected at the output, because the loop can no longer work.

Vout = D * Vin

always this.

But iobviously in transient situation the duty cycle may be different...but on constant load this is it

vout = d vin

does not matter vmc or cmc

Status
Not open for further replies.