Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Voltage less than one threshold voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debdut

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Voltage less by one threshold voltage

I want a circuit that inputs V volts and outputs V-Vth volts, where Vth is the threshold voltage of a pMOS or nMOS.
Is a circuit possible? I tried with pass-transistors, its not happening.

The simple way to drop a fixed amount of volts, is with a series zener diode.

If Vth is just a few volts, then you can do it by stringing together a sufficient number of diodes or led's.

Diode voltage drop will be different from MOS threshold voltage. The circuit is made up of MOS. So I want is just one Vth drop.

In IC it is easy - simple class A source follower with mosfet working with inversion coefficient=1. Of course it is only a DC drop, signal amplitude is still not changing (almost)

Reactions: Debdut

Debdut

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I don't recognize a clear question. What do you mean with "its not happening"? Very clearly, a diode connected MOSFET can be used to generate a Vth voltage offset, but of course with non-zero drain current. You could have easily avoided to make others guessing by showing a reference circuit.

In IC it is easy - simple class A source follower with mosfet working with inversion coefficient=1. Of course it is only a DC drop, signal amplitude is still not changing (almost)

Thanks.
I understand, a source follower will have an output voltage very close to Vin-Vth if its tail current is close to zero. Am I right?
Can you explain what exactly is inversion coefficient in mosfet?

Source follower shifting DC voltage by it gate-to-source voltage, which could be choose equal to threshold voltage by biasing mosfet in center of moderate inversion - its drain current is equal to technology current, which is nonzero of course. The inversion coefficient is a ratio between actual drain current and technology (sometimes called specific) current.

More info You can find in articles describing EKV or ACM mosfet model.

Status
Not open for further replies.