Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage inverter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

orionsbelt

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have used a boost converter to achieve 12VDC from my power supply. The device, which is connected to the power supply, has differential inputs, which means I also have to invert the output voltage.
I first thought that I could use a simple inverting Op-amp to get the negative voltage out. But since the main bus voltage is 5VDC, I cannot invert the 12V to -12V using the opamp.
Are there good voltage inverters out there, which could solve this problem?

//OB

What is 'The device' and why do you need to invert the output? A differential input does not mean the output has to be inverted.
It soulds like you are expecting an op-amp to produce a negative supply rail, that isn't such a good idea unless the current you need to draw is very low.

Brian.

Are there good voltage inverters out there, which could solve this problem?

Quite a lot; most of them have isolated outputs, so you can use it as + or -12V (or both, if you use one with ±12V output). Depends on which power you need from the output(s), and if you need regulated or just unregulated output. Here's an example for 1W unregulated DC-DC converters for less than 1$ , which I've often used: View attachment Recom-RBM-1W-series.pdf

Thanks for your comment. Please find the attached datasheet of the accelerometer. On page 4, you will find block diagram of the accelerometer.

What is your suggestion on the negative output voltage?

//OB

Attachments

• Colibrys SF1500 Accelerometer.pdf
    327 KB · Views: 51

Hi,

Did you do a search on "voltage inverter".
At google, or semiconductor manufacturers..

Klaus

I just found a LM2576HV-12. Attaching the image file.

I am planning to connect this IC to the output voltage of 12V from the power supply to get -12V.

I am bit confused about the output current though. Since my max. output current from the power supply is 100mA, I wonder how is that going to the affect the setup shown in the picture.

//OB

Ics.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.