Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage divider with diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhuvanesh123

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have seen voltage divider circuit with loudspeaker and diode.why they are using diode instead of resistor.explain me basically.Thank you in advance

voltage divider with tunnel diode

how does a tunnel diode in voltage divider configuration act as amplifier.what would be resistance of tunnel diode how it changes with small variation(by adding signal source of 0.3v).thank you in advance

Re: voltage divider with tunnel diode

Tunnel diodes have a negative resistance characteristic over a small voltage range. They allow more current to pass at low voltage than at high voltage, hence appearing to defy Ohms law. This can be seen as amplification, they do the opposite of resistance. However the voltage range is quite small and most if not all Tunnel diodes only work in the low milliamps region so they are not much use for large signals. They are used as amplifiers and oscillators in high frequency applications.

Brian.

I used a tunnel diode about 50 years ago to make an FM transmitter. I have not seen a tunnel diode since then.

A loudspeaker uses an audio amplifier, not a voltage divider and diode.
Please post the schematic of what you are asking about.

Likewise but I sill have at least one new one in stock. A good source of them is old Tek oscilloscopes, they were used in the sync circuits to generate very fast pulses to the timebases. A bonus is they were wire ended and soldered across ceramic terminal strips so they were easy to salvage.

Brian.

Doesn't sound reasonable at all. You probably misunderstood the purpose of the circuit.

You would neither make a voltage divider from a loudspeaker and a resistor. Loudspeakers are directly driven from audio power amplifiers with fitting parameters (impedance, power). Exceptionally, low power loudspeakers, more often headphones are operated with a resistive volume control.

Status
Not open for further replies.