Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Divider feeding Op-Amp Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balrock

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
input.JPGinput.JPGHello everyone. I have been able to get back to my project again the last week. I have been struggling with the same problem for many days and I have finally run out of things to try.

I am trying to feed my Op-Amp Voltage Inverter with a Potential divider but with no accuracy.

The Potential Divider. - With a supply of 5 volts Point A gives me a ratio of 1:4 and correctly gives me 1.25volts.

The Op-Amp Inverter - If I supply say + 2 volts directly at point X from a power supply rail point Z correctly gives me - 2 volts. This is due to the fact that

Z (volts out) = - R4 / R3 x X (volts in)
so the real numbers are
- 1 / 1 x 2 = - 2

So far so good.

If I connect point A to Point X I do not see - 1.25v at point Z. I see -0.63 volts

If I remove R3 and replace R4 with a 3.9k resistor so that the Op-Amp maths looks correct I still do not see 1.25v at point Z. I see -5.02 volts

I have come back to this several times but I am stuck. I know that I am obviously missing fundamental knowledge here. Any and all help is very welcome.

Thanks kindly Paul.

Last edited:

Hi Paul, I think your error is that you treat the node A as a voltage source (zero internall resistance) - thus forgetting that the divider resistors affect the feedback factor.

Or see it the other way around. The -1 gain of the op circuit is kept, but the voltage divider is loaded by an additional 1 k resistor to ground. You need to adjust the voltage divider for this load, by changing R1 and R2, Increasing R2 alone doesn't work.

Last edited:

Point Y is at ground potential. This means that, for computing voltage at Point A, R3 is in fact in parallel with R2 when you connect A to X. Do your calculations for the new voltage and smile... :)

hi barlock, you are ignoring the output impedance of your potential divider circuit.
If you take it in consideration, then u will find that its output impedance is ~0.975ohm (ie. 3.9||1.3).
now taking this in account your gain equation modifies as -R4/(R3+0.95). taking R4=R3=1k equation will became -1/(1+0.95) * 1.25 = -0.64v

So there are two solution to remove this impedance mismatch:

1. choose the value of R4 such that ratio of R4/(R3+0.95) will give you the required gain. (this solves a specific problem)
2. introduce a voltage follower circuit in between your potential divider and OPAMP circuit. This voltage follower will nullify the effect of impedance mismatch.

I will recommend you 2nd method if you are doing this project only on hardware(ie bread board). If you are doing only simulation then u can opt for 1st method

Hope you will find this answer helpful......

Status
Not open for further replies.