Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Control for Varying DC voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipfactor

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

This is my first post here, so we will see how this goes. I am designing a charging circuit for lead-acid batteries and I believe I need to have some kind of control of the voltage, particularly for over voltage. The system generating the electricity has a DC output in the range of 0V to 60V. My question is, would a buck-boost or just a buck converter be the best choice for this circuit? Under voltage is not as big of a concern, mainly over voltage. Thanks for the help in advance.

Zip

For a croase one, a accurate buck is OK for it. Don't charge the battery to over-voltage.

you can very well go for a buck converter.

For accurate controlling, it is better to use a dedicated Charger IC. However, 60V input voltage is hard to find.

I just researched purchasing a charger IC and they are more cost effective, although, they are hard to find at 60V input (special order). I would be hesitant to use the charger IC with the 60V input because there will not be much room for variation (i.e. the input voltage swings up to 70V for a short time period). Thanks for the input everyone.

You can use a separate buck converter and then a dedicated lead-acid charger........
maxim,ti,linear all has some excellent products on sale....

I already had planned on using a 555 timer charge control circuit with trimmers to adjust the high voltage and low voltage states for charging, so I only really needed to ensure that the voltage did not get above 15V or so. This charge controller is less expensive than I thought, which is making me lean toward using this charge controller IC in place of the 555 timer circuit. My question with the charge controller IC is can I connect my "dummy" load to the sinking side of the IC's driver circuit so that I can run an external load when my battery is not being charged?

Status
Not open for further replies.