Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Booster for Peltier Tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiHao

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am planning to install two Peltier tiles( TEC-12706 ) to an electric toothbrush which runs solely on the heat of human hand. I have tested the tile and it can generate about 150 millivolts, which is not sufficient to power a 12V DC electric motor. I think I should get a transformer or try to build a Joule Thief to amplify the voltage of the tile to 6V ( which is quite adequate to have a considerable RPM to brush your teeth ). Any recommended devices or componets to amplify the low voltage? Thanks!

Forget it. No chances to do such a thing (drive an electric motor from the heat of your hand).

Energy out = (Energy in - losses).

You want FAR more out than you can possibly generate, even if the losses are very low. Don't confuse energy with voltage, if you want to multiply the voltage by (6/0.15) = 40 times, you have to produce more than 40 times the current from the Peltier devices.

Commercially, where Peltiers drive motors, for example in stove fans, the heat difference from one side of the Peltier to the other has to be more than 200C and the surface area is also far greater than the handle of a toothbrush.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.