Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VNC - Cygwin - SSH .. wana access my lab from remote place

Status
Not open for further replies.

viggu007

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vnc cygwin

hi all

i wana access my lab from home ... i have to work on synopsis tools...
how can i do this ? i have installed SSH in my lap top and i am able to establish connection with the server in lab ( but i m able to use only comand prompt . which is not what i want..) I need the GUI and for that i installed VNC (helps in remote connection).But i am unable to establish connection with the server in lab...(some firewall problem) what can be done to get connected ? i tried to change the driver file ( c:windows-system32-drivers-etc-host) still i m unable to establish connection... is there any body who can help me out ..... it will be good if anybody can share their ideas on VNC and on Cygwin --- basically these can be used as apps. for remote desktop connection..

pls kindly reply at the earliest and share ur ideas !!

thank you all

Re: VNC - Cygwin - SSH .. wana access my lab from remote pla

There are some requirements:

1. Server should accept remote desktop
2. The ports for VNC should be open

Personally I used VNC on SUN but is was really slow. There is only a windows device driver for the server which make VNC fast. That comes with UltraVNC.

I use Exceed for years at the company and it is still the fastest. But the client is not free. For practical work you need disconnect. Citrix is used for that but it is slower than Exceed or some other X clients. I have seen that NoMachine offer a unique client/server which is free for 1-2users. But had glibc issues installing on a linux server.

try using putty to setup the connection, using a ssh tunnel.
I use UltraVNC and Remote desktop in this config, have to say Remote desktop is faster than UltraVNC

Regards
NTFreak

Remote desktop is faster but requires windows server
I suggest for linux server to use X tunneling + SSH

Windows XP Professional (not Home) also has the remote desktop server included.

Cheers
NTFreak

If you can make a console connection from cygwin, then you almost have it!!

All you're lacking is the switch to allow the running of Xserver applications.

Here's the syntax: ssh -X your-username@work.pc.ip.address

I believe all you're missing is the -X option. -Y also works. See the man page to learn the difference.

The really cool part of this solution is that a user can be on the machine you're accessing and the only performance hit they seem to notice are when it's loading an app or file from disk. Running an app remotely on your work PC while viewing the GUI on your home screen is very cool and very simple, provided you have access through the firewall. Have you tried asking your IT folks there if you can get the ssh port open on the firewall?

An alternative workaround is to set a cron job on your work PC for it to run a script which will establish an SSH connection with your home pc; then you're in. For that, you'd need to make sure you have sshd (the ssh daemon) running on your home pc.

John

i have used exceed (at home) to remotely acess eda tools from school, but too slow, vnc is much faster, but not as convinent as exceed.

asueee0 said:
i have used exceed (at home) to remotely acess eda tools from school, but too slow, vnc is much faster, but not as convinent as exceed.

I think vnc is more convience than exceed,it can be close,and when you connect again,your application is on the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.