Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

visual basic interface and rs232 control

Status
Not open for further replies.
what kind of control, do you want to communicate with another computer, a chip or ... ?

I want to control a chip which called PCL841 and it can be found in the web https://www.advantech.com/. The chip receives temperature values
from a boiler and I want to control the chip for example "receive values
every five minutes".

I went to the site and searched for PCL841. PCL841 is a PC interface card which communicates with CAN controllers, it has nothing to do with RS-232. you can use this card to communicate with microcontrollers that have CAN controller. are you a windows programmer I mean do you have Visual Basic programming skills ?
if you want to read temprature every 5 minutes you can happily use RS-232 which is much simpler and cheaper.if you want to use RS-232 you don't need PCL841. having said that, noise level of your environment is also important. how much noise do you have there? and what is the distance between computer and sensor ?

I recommend mscomm object instead of writing your own activeX or dll file. Besides, you can try to have winio.dll to ease your rs-232 application programming.

If CAN is a must you can insert some microcontroler with both can an rs232 (some PIC fo example) and do exactly what you want.

You can use CreateFile(..), WriteFile(...), ReadFile(...) win32 apis by MSDN and how you can call the apis from VisualBasic

ADM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back