Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

virtex 4 powerpc getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junaid Alam

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI
kindly guide me how to get started with virtex 4 powerpc based design

First you will need the EDK package. This is not available as either a student or demo version. Second, you will need LOTs of patience. EDK is reported to be a very frustrating package to work with. However, since the PowerPC core is within the Virtex chip, you have to use EDK.
I know several firms that use external PowerPC chips is systems that include FPGAs that contain the core, the found that it was easier to use an external chip that fight an extended battle with EDK.

banjo said:
First you will need the EDK package. This is not available as either a student or demo version. Second, you will need LOTs of patience. EDK is reported to be a very frustrating package to work with. However, since the PowerPC core is within the Virtex chip, you have to use EDK.
I know several firms that use external PowerPC chips is systems that include FPGAs that contain the core, the found that it was easier to use an external chip that fight an extended battle with EDK.

I am not sure if I agree with you. I don't use EDK for a living but I found it to be very easy. A version of EDK was probably given out with the Virtex-4 board you purchased, it may not work for ever or come with full features but it'll get you started.

**broken link removed** Just follow the powerpc guide and you'll figure it out for your specific board.

EDK maybe a bit overwhelming at first, because it is a rather large piece of software with many features but once you get used to it, it will be like compiling a C program.

Good luck

thanks for your reply. I will get board and all software by next week!

Somebody please tell me if this page contains the original and fully featured version of xilinx EDK

**broken link removed**

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back