Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Viewing results over computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffry

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

Is there any simpler way for a beginner like me to view the result of the multiplier that I have made on computer.

1. One option is Jtag-to-Uart using microblaze, but I do not know the c-coding manual for microblaze.

2. Chipscope is not an option, since I dont want debugging but it is part of actual project

3. Is there any other way of controlling uart other than Microblaze

Best Reagrds,
Jaffry

You don't give us a lot of information, but I'm GUESSING you are using an FPGA? And it's on a board with an RS-232 driver?

You could just implement a UART in your FPGA without having to fool around with debugging a Microblaze.

Thank you for your reply

I am using ML605 board with Virtex 6 FPGA.

these is not Rs232 connection in it but a Jtage pin available and through microblaze we can make the jtag-to-UART ip and since i dont know the microblaze coding so i was avoiding it

now that you are saying to implement uart in FPGA, but since i having JTAG connection how can i proceed further.
can you elaorate a little. Is there any VGA method available, i have DVi connector availabel in the evaluation KIT

An alternative is to use a RS232-USB dongle. Implement a simple UART in the fpga like barry said, and connect RX+TX to the dongle. Just make sure you get a dongle that likes 3.3 Volt IOs (most that I know of do).

1) Communicating to a computer using JTAG is, I assume, possible, but it sounds difficult. That's not what JTAG is for.
2) USB is very complicated (simple on the outside, fancy on the inside). I don't think you want to bother with that in your FPGA, unless somebody has given you the drop-in code.
3) VGA and DVi are video interfaces. Not for communication.
4) You got yourself a pretty complicated, expensive board for someone who is a beginner.
That board does have a PCI express interface and Ethernet on it. If it came with a PCIe module(IP), you could just drive your data into that. Or use Ethernet. The product brief shows something labelled "USB to UART (J21)". Maybe that's what you need?

As a "my first communication connection" a simple RS232 link really is simplest.

Ethernet is cool, but comes with it's own challenges. And just for clarity, you don't need an onboard RS232 connection. You just need 2 free IO pins, and hook that up to the RX/TX of a dongle like this one:

**broken link removed**

Link is just so you know what I mean. Not necessarily this particular one, I am just too lazy too look any further.

USB goes to the PC, 2 pins RX/TX go to 2 free fpga pins. Plug in a simple UART core in the fpga and you are good to go.

You can use this RS232 verilog code, since it works in one go:

https://www.fpga4fun.com/SerialInterface.html

All you have to do is set the system clock and the baud rate.

The USB thing is accessible as a virtual com port on the PC side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back